Domain Limit Module and Subdomains

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by arraken, Mar 30, 2016.

1. arraken

arraken Member

Hi,
    I enabled the "Domain Limits" function and I really like it so far. However there are some limitations to which I have some questions:
    1. A customer can not create a new "standalone" website for a subdomain, if I (as admin) don't manually assign the subdomain to the client first. This is very impractical, because customers should be able to create any subdomain for their owned domains themselves. There is a workaround with the "Subdomain (vHost)" function, but that is not ideal if the subdomain is a real standalone website. I think in this case it should be created as a real website, with its own folder, php-user and backup options. Is it feasible to just add an optional free-text "host" field to the "website-creation-form", while leaving the Domain field as a dropdown? This would be the ideal and most logical/correct version for creating standalone subdomain websites I think. I could add a new feature-request for that, if you don't have any objections.
    2. For Aliasdomains there is a similar problem, but there's no workaround for it as far as I see: With domain limits enabled, a customer has no way to create an alias for a subdomain. So sub.mydomain.tld -> randomdomain.com is not possible, without manual interference by the admin. There should definitely be an optional free-text "host" field here too, like it already exists for the "Subdomain" and "Subdomain (vHost)" forms.
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The domain limit module exists to limit the use of domains and subdomains to the ones that the admin created in the client module for this client. So if a client shall be able to use a domain or subdomain, you as an admin will have to add it first in the domain module for this client. Feel free to make a feature request to allow clients to create their own subdomains even with domain module on.

3. arraken

arraken Member

Ok, I will do that. I think at the moment the implementation of the domain limits is quite inconsistent, because a user CAN actually create his own subdomains, via the "Subdomain" and "Subdomain (vHost)" features, but he cannot do so with aliasdomains, or standalone websites.

4. arraken

arraken Member