Domain resolving help

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Khurram Ashfaq, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Khurram Ashfaq

Khurram Ashfaq New Member

I am very new to ISPConfig. actually first time trying to setup VPS and selected ISPConfig as control panel. everything is installed successfully and look working fine.
    My main issue is, domains only work if i set google DNS 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 on my computer if not set then domains not work. how can i fix this? domains works without google dns, because very few peoples know about google dns and mostly not set on their computers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Wait a few hours. Google name servers are very fast to update their info. Other name servers take from 4 to 48 hours to get newly added domains.
    If you have set up your name service correctly, and google name servers answering indicates you have, then it should be just waiting until other name servers catch up.

Khurram Ashfaq likes this.
  3. Khurram Ashfaq

Thanks for a quick response.
    my all domains are resolving with google DNS, but not this "laundry.pk" i try to delete and add again. but still not resolving. may i need to wait for it too?

4. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

Do you have a FritzBox? They end to cache DNS queries longer than needed.
    You can test dns resolvers with the "dig" tool. Is also available for windows: https://www.isc.org/download/
    Or use some internet resolver, to look if your domain resolves

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If laundry.pk is your real domain name, it is not registered so does not work at all.
    Code:
    $ LANG=C whois laundry.pk
    This TLD has no whois server, but you can access the whois database at
    http://www.pknic.net.pk/
    taleman@myhost:~
    $ host laundry.pk
    Host laundry.pk not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Even google name server does not know it:
    Code:
    $ host laundry.pk 8.8.8.8
    Using domain server:
    Name: 8.8.8.8
    Address: 8.8.8.8#53
    Aliases:

Host laundry.pk not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

In my signature is link to DNS tutorial, that explains among other things how to check name service is working correctly. Try that to find out what is really happening with your domain.

Update: I checked with pknic website, found the name servers:
    Code:
    $ host laundry.pk ns1.websellservice.com  
    host: couldn't get address for 'ns1.websellservice.com': not found
    taleman@myhost:~
    $ host laundry.pk ns2.websellservice.com  
    host: couldn't get address for 'ns2.websellservice.com': not found

Even those name servers do not resolve laundry.pk domain. Either the name servers are wrong or your domain is faulty and the name servers have not accepted the zone data.
    But the domain is registered at that registrar, but name service is not working.

6. Khurram Ashfaq

Thanks for a lot of attention on my post and work.
    laundry.pk is registered by me and i have set DNS too. before ispconfig i installed vesta and this domain was working there. even i have install a script and everything was working fine.

7. Khurram Ashfaq

laundry.pk also resolved, Thanks for your help.