Dots in Email addresses

Discussion in 'General' started by alias, Jun 2, 2006.

1. alias

alias New Member

Hi,

I am having a major headache here. Doesn't ISPConfig support dots in emails?
    Creating a new mail user like this:

name: whatever
    email: [email protected]
    username: whatever

And guess what! It doesn't work.

Then deleting this user, creating an alias for an existing user on that domain.tld - an alias looks like this aswell: test.whatever.

And guess what! It doesn't work aswell. Should it be this way? If not, am I missing something? How do I fix it?

Cheers.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Allmost all of my email usernames have a dot inside, so it is not an ISPConfig problem. Do you get any errors in the mail.log when you send an email to such a user?

3. alias

alias New Member

No errors. The message gets forwarded to the catchall account of the different domain (the main hostname actually).

4. till

5. alias

alias New Member

Tried changing the hostname - doesn't help.

Here's the mail.log:

Code:
    Jun  5 08:55:00 ***** postfix/local[22093]: 888B2344F9: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=4, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)
    Jun  5 08:55:00 ***** postfix/qmgr[22060]: 888B2344F9: removed
    The theusername is the user on the secondarydomain, that has got that alias valdas.pauliukonis assigned to it. The mail is being forwarded to [email protected] - what the heck?

6. till

Have you restarted postfix after changig the hostname?

Please post your postfix main.cf file.

7. alias

alias New Member

8. alias

alias New Member

Ok, it looks like I've got it.
    [email protected] probably only means the message goes to that user on that server, it's not an actual e-mail. Apparently after cleaning up the database and creating a new user with a dot in the middle - it all works fine now.

Cheers.