Doubts about ISPConfig, wordpress (newbie here)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Barragán Louisenbairn, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Hello all:
    I just discovered ISPConfig after an old user told me about, but I am really noob here. I am using Plesk right now, but I am not the instaler of that Plesk and I guess using that wasn't a good decission.
    The Plesk runs in one dedicated server and after I added +900 wordpress websites the server is running really slow. (another bad decision, 1 server only...)
    I need to improve the infrastructure, so I am going to rent some OVH servers (the plan is to add one OVH server each 300 or 400 websites), migrate all my websites to the new platform and delete the Plesk.
    Right now I only have websites, without mail or DNS, so I won't install all that options to reduce consumption. And I don't need HightAvaliability. And I don't need billing methods.

Now I need to post here some questions to end my decision to change from Plesk to ISPConfig:

The very first question is: There is a way to work with ISPConfig in a clustered multiserver way that allows me to add servers easily?
    I found this guide: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...abase-cluster-on-debian-8.4-with-ispconfig-3/ but I want to use Debian 10, so I guess I must merge it with that one: www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-10-buster-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-1/ Could anyone confirms me that this is possible?

The second question is: there is a way to use only 2 servers for databases (really low resource consumption compared with the wordpress processes) and 10 or more for the websites? I want to add servers as really needed and as I readed the guides, they make me suspect that 1webserver-1dbserver ratio is needed.

The third question is: there is a way ISPConfig manages the backup&restore of the websites (and DBs too)?
    The fourth question: There are any limit on ISPConfig in the number of websites, servers or databases? because I want to use only 1 panel , not 1-per-server.

Sorry if the questions are really dumb, but I searched in the website and in the forum and they only thow me more doubts.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes.
    It is possible. But better is to use ISPConfig Manual for the multiserver setup part, and the Debian 10 Perfect Server Guide for the Debian part.
    Yes. Any number of hosts in any role is possible. But the ISPConfig Panel can only run on one host.
    Yes.
    What ISP? But no limit on those numbers.

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I am running a Debian 10 multiserver setup and it works flawless. Only thing that could come in handy is a easy way to move a site between servers, which is currently not possible. There is a feature request: https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/issues/482

I am planning on writing a new guide for the multiserver setup, but haven't had time for that yet.

Yes, this is possible.

Yes, there is a backup system

No, no limit.

And there are no dumb questions :)

4. ISPConfig, sorry.

Th0m and Taleman, thanks for the so fast answers! I am going to buy the documentation and start the configuration.

5. Th0m

No problem :)
    If you have any questions, let us know. And if you need professional support, you can eventually send me a PM ;)

6. One more question:
    That means I cannot have HA on the panel, right? (only to confirm things with my boss, he must understand the differences btw plesk (1 cheap server + licenses) and OVH+ISPConfig (Lot of servers w/o licenses)

7. Th0m

Yes, it is better to run it on one server. There are big providers that have a HA ISPConfig panel, but it is quite risky and can cause more downtime. Other services can be mirrored and be put behind a HA load balancer.

8. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you can, but i don't recommend it. if you're running wordpress sites, i suggest keeping the database on the same server.
    i tried using a separate database server before, even with high bandwidth low latency links between the webserver and the database server. it seems the way wordpress queries the database is spectacularly inefficient, given the number of queries it makes just to build one page, even the addition of the very small delay passing packets between the webserver and the database server for each request really slows wordpress down, and that's with database caching, php caching, full page caching etc enabled to attempt to reduce the number of mysql queries.
    i ended up moving the databases back onto the webservers, despite each webserver having less cpu's and ram than each dedicated database server, wordpress was noticeably significantly faster.

Th0m likes this.
  9. Hello again: after I installed and configured some servers on my VirtualBox, I have a few doubts with ISPConfig.
    I installed on Debian10: the last version of ISPConfig, using php7.3 and nginx, with MariaDB as the database.

But I want to ask you something: using this guide to create a Multiserver setup, I found something I dont understand very well:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/multiser...servers-on-debian-squeeze-with-ispconfig-3-p2

If I have 3 servers, called ServerISP, serverWEB and serverDB, I must install ISPConfig on the 3 servers, with php, nginx... A database replication is needed? Or is only for the Cluster Installations (as my logic tells me)?

In other hand: I configured a website properly following all the steps on the manual and the howtoforge.com guides. The webpage works well, but only the main one: xxxxxxx.com. An example of a link that doesn't work: xxxxxxx.com/wp-admin or xxxxxxxx.com/profile

Any idea about this?

Thanks in advance.

10. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you install ispconfig to each server, each server has it's own ispconfig database.
    the database on ServerISP contains all data for all servers.
    the database on ServerWEB retrieves the data for everything on itself from ServerISP (checks for updates/changes every minute)
    the database on ServerDB retrieves the data for everythgin on itself from ServerISP (checks for updates/changes every minute)

this way, if ServerISP is offline/unreachable for any reason, ServerWEB and ServerDB, and all sites/databases on them continue to function as normal on their own. only new changes made in ServerISP are not transmitted to any other server.
    once connectivity to from ServerWEB or ServerDB to ServerISP is re-established, that server will retrieve any missed changes from ServerISP.

as for a website working properly or not, you don't provide anywhere near enough details for anyone to answer you.
    is it multiple sites not working? a link from the mainpage of a site to another page on that site?
    does the dns exist for the domain for that site?

ahrasis and Th0m like this.