Dovecot error after installation ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by daviz_zamora, Aug 13, 2014.

1. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

Dovecot gives me an error when installing ISPConfig, and creating email accounts, ignores me, not work for me .. I have wrong? What should I change?

[​IMG]

Thank you.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The error means that you must have entered something wrong durung ssl cert creation when ispcomfig asked for the ssl cert details which caused the postfix and dovecot ssl cert to be not created. if this is a new installation, then run the uninstall.php script to remove ispconfig, then run the install.php script again to reinstall it.

3. ArrChi

ArrChi New Member

You have to generate new certificate and change default path. This problem I noticed in IspConfig3p2 pack.

To fix your problem on shell:

openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 7300 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.pem -out /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.pem

and then:

vi /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

and change default ssl path:

ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/private/smtpd.pem
    ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/smtpd.pem

and

/etc/init.d/dovecot restart or service dovecot restart

Don't forget to chmod correct permission for cert excluding outside access!

You can notice the same problem with postfix certificate. To fix you have to change in main.cf ssl path (and|or) generate new cert or use dovecot pem.

Regards,
    Arkadiusz Zug

4. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

Thanks for reply, say error, look screenshot:

[​IMG]

Thanks.

5. till

run:

mkdir /etc/ssl/private

and try again.

6. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

Thanks, but don't work mail... not start nor in outlook and thunderbird... I restart postfix and Dovector, and say ok... but is not where the problem comes

7. ArrChi

ArrChi New Member

Have you check mail log ?

8. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

Yes, but it's empty

9. Amorphous

Amorphous New Member

Hello,
    I have just installed a fresh ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p3, and yes, after the first install.php with all the proper settings, and trust me, i allready have at least 4 or five years since i work with ISPConfig, and is not my first install, indeed the certificate smtpd.cert is not in the correct folder.
    With the manual settings and commands

To fix your problem on shell:

openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 7300 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.pem -out /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.pem

and then:

vi /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

and change default ssl path:

ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/private/smtpd.pem
    ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/smtpd.pem

and

/etc/init.d/dovecot restart or service dovecot restart

dovecot starts.

after i will update the first domain into this server, an make all the settings, i will come back with feedback about the functionality for all the processes...

ISPConfig sees all the service online and running.

10. till

About which Linux distributionare you talking? I installed ispconfig 3.0.5.4p3 today on Debian for a custmer and all ssl certs were in the right places.

ISPConfig uses a different path for the ssl certs though, ispconfig creates the certs in /etc/postfix/ and configures dovecot to use them from this directory.

Btw. By creating the certs in /etc/ssl/private/ instaed of /etc/postfix, your server will get broken on each update. So I highly recommend to leave the ssl certs in the path that ispconfig configures and in case that they are missing, then create them in the path that ispconfig uses and not in a different path which is incompatible with ispconfig updates.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  11. Amorphous

Amorphous New Member

Til i am using CentOS from the beginning, the problem is that in /etc/postfix the file smtpd.cert simply doesn t exist. I have checked in the server with version 3.0.5.4p2 (not updated yet ) and i have found the smtpd.cert in the correct path. in the new version it doesn t exist. Can you please tell me how to create the new smtpd.cert file ? can you please tell me the commands to create a new certificate for smtpd ?

the diferences that i have seen between the two servers:

in /etc/postfix there is a folder ssl/ with :

total 20
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1367 Apr 5 16:56 cacert.pem
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1834 Apr 5 16:56 cakey.pem
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 895 Apr 5 16:55 neoit.ro.crt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 704 Apr 5 16:55 neoit.ro.csr
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 887 Apr 5 16:53 neoit.ro.key

the entyre folder in the new server is missing.....

print from old server with 3.0.5.4p2

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 6816 Dec 3 2011 relocated
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1220 Feb 12 2014 smtpd.cert
    -rw-r-----. 1 root root 1704 Feb 12 2014 smtpd.key
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 5 16:56 ssl
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 12500 Dec 3 2011 transport
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 12494 Dec 3 2011 virtual

print from new server:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6816 Feb 20 2014 relocated
    -rw-r----- 1 root root 3272 Aug 27 02:25 smtpd.key
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12500 Feb 20 2014 transport
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12494 Feb 20 2014 virtual

Thank you very much

Later edit:

Ok, so i followed another tutorial from HowToForge website,
    http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-u...r-mysql-and-squirrelmail-centos-6.3-x86_64-p2

and i have found a way to create a smtpd.cert certificate. i have used the command, changed back to default values in dovecot.conf, the ones set by ispconfig, /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert and key, seems that everything started ok.

is this ok Til ???

i will make some tests with a live domain as soon as possible to check for sending and receiving of emails :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  12. till

That should be ok.