Dumb Newbie Question again

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Shayne, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Shayne

Shayne New Member

Hi Again all you Linux peeps :)

I used the Perfect setup for Ubuntu 6.10 and everything is working great except on thing. I can send mail and everything from the web but in outlolok I cannot send to a domain not listed in my Ubuntu box.(the box is not currently connected to my local network only to www.) However even if it were I would like it to be able to send mail for my branches as well.

I did a bit of research and found out that it will send from local host and that I can open up the relay server(not a wise choice security wise) I also know that you need to setup your outlook to connect securley then it will work but I have tried and it may be that Ima noob but I just cant seem to get it right. just keeps giving me Relay access denied.

SO my goal is to setup my branches to use my box as the SMTP and Pop3 server. But like I said I am batteling to get it to send mail todomains other than the ones setup on my box. Recieving is no problem .

What must I do??

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please enable "Server requires authentication." in your email client.

3. Shayne

Shayne New Member

Ok it is all setup and I thought maybe ssl was not working. When I setup the outlook to use Secure Smtp it will not accept the username or password setup in isp config even though from webmail it sends fine and I can log in. From out look when I enable the secure smtp it doesn accept

the following is my mail log file after trying to send from out look.
    I am not sure what I need to change

:(

4. falko

I was not talking about secure SMTP, but about "Server requires authentication.". This is a different option. Have a look here: http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/relay/outlook-config.html (ignore the last screenshot)

Anyway, there's another problem:

What's the output of
    Code:
    ps aux|grep sasl
    ? What's in /etc/default/saslauthd? What's the value of PIDFILE in /etc/init.d/saslauthd?

5. Shayne

Shayne New Member

I have setup in outlook as you have said all be it my outlook is a little differant. But still it doesnt accept the user name or password.

The output of
    is

and the /etc/default/saslauthd looks like:

6. falko

Code:
    SRAMS="-m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd"
    must be
    Code:
    PARAMS="-m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r"
    instead.

7. Shayne

Shayne New Member

Hi Falko

Awesome comes to mind :)

Thanks for the prompt respones... so far so good :)