Email Alias Destination - direct change in DB?

Discussion in 'General' started by sjau, Apr 28, 2017.

1. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Hi there

I created a normal email account on ISPC. Then for each serice that I need to register, I just created an alias that went to the normal email account.
    When you send email, it will keep the actual email account in the header info from where it was sent. Even if you tell it to use another "from" address.

So, while I had very little spam, it seems finally the actual account email was picked up by spammers and I get direct emails to the actual email.

Now, I will create another email account and move the mail to that one. However, I have like 200 aliases.

Ca I just edit the DB directly? Something like:
    Code:
    UPDATE table SET field = "new email" WHERE field = "current email"

Since postfix is using mysl lookups for delivering emails I think altering the mysql db directly should work, but before I try it, I thought I'd better ask here.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A direct update in the DB should work in this case, at least when it is a single server setup. For multiserver setups, better use the remote api.

3. sjau

Yeah, it's single server. I haven't had need for multi-server setup. It's all private installations, so small user base :) thx for the quick reply.

4. sjau

Another option wouldbe if e.g. emails sent directly to the email address woud be refused but emails sent to the alias would be properly accepted. Not sure if that's possible.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you don't use the actual email account to receive mail, then you can e.g. rename the part in front of the @ from time to time as it is just used as email username then, ispconfig will alter the email aliases automatically.

6. sjau

I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

However I do use it to receive email. As said, when I have to register somewhere, I create an own alias and then collect all email in that email account. Even other people have their own email to which they can send me an email. If I get spam, I know where my email address was leaked.

In thunderbird I have the Virtual Identity addon which tries to guess (and makes a good job in doing so) what should be set as "sender" address when sending email.

So, what I have now is this:

"Real" Email address:
    [email protected]

When I need to hand out an email address, e.g. facebook, I create an aias
    [email protected] which points to [email protected]

So, is there a way that I can block all incoming emails that are sent to "[email protected]" but allow emails that are sent to "[email protected]" (which will eventually end up in the same inbox as "[email protected]"