Email delivery problem - Ubuntu Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10) [ISPConfig 2]

Discussion in 'General' started by qiubosu, Jan 18, 2010.

1. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

i rang my ISP broadband technical support team and they told me that 219.88.70.31 they issued to me is static ip address, not from dynamic ip address pool.

do you any idea on this?

thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The problem is that seemingly the blacklist maintainers qualify it as a dynamic IP. You can try to contact the maintainers and ask to remove your IP from the blacklist.

3. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hi falko,

sending email to personal email address from ispconfig server and sometimes receiving email from the personal email address very shortly, say 5 seconds, but sometimes take several days. why? even the later sent out email could be received in several seconds time, but the earlier sent out email is received in several days later. why? quite confused.

4. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

I want to forward the domain registered in Godaddy system to my static ip address.

Login to the web config page of my modem (point to my static ip address), I can see the primary DNS & secondary DNS for internet service in my modem.

I replace the Nameserver 1 & Nameserver 2 for my domain registered in Godaddy site by login into Godaddy system with the primary DNS & secondary DNS for internet service in my modem. But there is "Invalid TLS" message when click Ok button.

May you help or give some advice on this, so I can successfully forward my domain in Godaddy system to my static ip address.

Thanks,

5. falko

You don't need to change the nameservers - you can use the GoDaddy nameservers. Just change the IP address of your domain in the GoDaddy interface.

6. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

thanks. you're right. i realized this after i submit the post to you. just login to Godaddy system and forward the domain to my static ip address.

by the way, do you have any idea on my previous post to you?

thanks again.

7. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

Dear Falko,

There is a static IP address, 219.88.70.31, assigned to my modem by my ISP. The modem connects to a router (DHCP disabled) and the router connects to a local host (with local static IP address, e.g. 192.168.5.10). The ISPconfig server is installed in this local host with hostname www.smartracksolutions.com (registered in Godaddy system).

In Godaddy system, after forwarding the domain to 219.88.70.31, the "Total DNS" is as below:

Total DNS
    Total DNS: (Available)
    ARecord @ 64.202.189.170
    CNAME www @
    CNAME mobilemail mobilemail-v01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
    CNAME pda mobilemail-v01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
    MX @ smtp.secureserver.net
    MX @ mailstore1.secureserver.net

But it doesn't sound working after done all these.

When in linux prompt, run "wget http://www.smartracksolutions.com" get output

Resolving www.smartracksolutions.com... 64.202.189.170
    Connecting to www.smartracksolutions.com|64.202.189.170|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
    --2010-02-28 12:15:53-- http://219.88.70.31/
    Connecting to 219.88.70.31:80... failed: Connection refused.

The above is what I did to forward my domain to my static IP address and the testing resutl I got.

It is much appreciated if you can help with this.

Thanks kindly,

8. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

in your perfect-server-ubuntu-9.10-karmic-koala-ispconfig-2.html tutorial, for the example hostname server1.example.com, if my website is www.mywebsite.com, the server1 is equivalent to www, example is equivalent to mywebsite, right?

thanks.

9. falko

It's best to usea domain of its own for namig your servers, i.e., a domain that you don't use for web sites and email.

10. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

falko,

In Godaddy, i update the Total DNS ARecord to point to my static IP address, but when I browse my website address, there is still problem. it looks like the ISPconfig server hasn't been configured properly.

in your previous email, you suggested "usea domain of its own for namig your servers, i.e., a domain that you don't use for web sites and email.", so do i need to register another paid domain for my ispconfig server? for email, again do i need to register another paid domain for it as well? if that is the case, i will have 3 registered paid domains (i only have one for my website at the moment).

thanks.

11. falko

You just need one additional paid domain for naming your servers (server1.additonaldomain.com, server2.additionaldomain.com, etc.).

12. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

thanks falko,

my website domain is smartracksolutions.com, can i use smartracksolutions.info as email server domain & smartracksolutions.us for ispconfig server domain? email server and ispconfig server are both installed in one PC at the moment (by following "The perfect server ... " instruction).

the reason i ask above question is that when i do "ping www.google.com" and "ping mail.google.com", from the return, it looks that the domains need to follow some naming standard.

for "ping www.google.com", what is the difference between domains "www.google.com", "www.l.google.com", "lax04s01-in-f147.1e100.net", ip address "66.102.7.147"?

for "ping mail.google.com", what is the difference between domains "mail.google.com", "googlemail.l.google.com", "lax04s01-in-f17.1e100.net", ip address "66.102.7.17"?

it is much appreciated if you can help with some explanation.

root@quicksu-laptop:# ping www.google.com

PING www.l.google.com (66.102.7.147) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from lax04s01-in-f147.1e100.net (66.102.7.147): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=199 ms
    64 bytes from lax04s01-in-f147.1e100.net (66.102.7.147): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=198 ms

root@quicksu-laptop:# ping mail.google.com

PING googlemail.l.google.com (66.102.7.17) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from lax04s01-in-f17.1e100.net (66.102.7.17): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=201 ms
    64 bytes from lax04s01-in-f17.1e100.net (66.102.7.17): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=201 ms

13. falko

You just need one technical domain, so either smartracksolutions.info or smartracksolutions.us would be enough. You can then use subdomains to name your servers.

14. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

thanks for the reply, but a bit confused when combining your previous replies together.

at the moment, i only have one paid domain, smartracksolutions.com (for my website). do you mean i have to create another paid domain, e.g. smartracksolutions.info, for my ispconfig server? and create subdomains under this ispconfig server for other servers, e.g. mail.smartracksolutions.info for mail server etc?

if it is, do you have any information on how to do this, e.g. a web link?

thanks.

15. falko

Yes.

Yes.

If your registrar runs the nameservers for smartracksolutions.info, you can create the necessary DNS records there via a web interface.

16. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

thanks.

for the ispconfig server, i registered the domain smartracksolutions.info. in the /etc/hosts file, i add below information.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.100 ispconfig.smartracksolutions.info ispconfig

and in the /etc/hostname, i add below information.

ispconfig.smartracksolutions.info

do you think this will work?

thanks.

17. falko

Also create an A record for ispconfig.smartracksolutions.info.

18. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

thanks falko,

to add a email server in this server, i modified the /etc/hosts file as below.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.100 ispconfig.smartracksolutions.info ispconfig
    192.168.0.100 mail.smartracksolutions.info mail

and modified the /etc/hostname as below.

ispconfig.smartracksolutions.info
    mail.smartracksolutions.info

yes, will create an A record for mail.smartracksolutions.info as well.

this should work for the email server, right?

thanks.

19. falko

There should be just one hostname in /etc/hostname.

20. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

when i used dynamic ip address before (with ****.dyndns.org domain), i installed squirrelmail within ispconfig control panel and could login into squirrelmail through default 81 port, could send or receive email occasionally, but have never been able to make the whole email system work perfectly.

now i use the static ip address (with smartracksolutions.com/info domain), installed squirrelmail within ispconfig control panel, but cannot login into squirrelmail through default 81 port anymore. is there any compatibility between ispconfig (ispconfig 2 actually) and the squirrlemail (version 1.4.20 at the moment)? moreover, can you help to provide some information to make the whole email system (with squirrlemail as webmail) work?

thanks kindly.