Email from hostname

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ejkeebler, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ejkeebler

ejkeebler New Member

Ok I am still confused after reading through a few threads I thought resembled my issue.

Currently I can send and recieve email from [email protected] I would like it to only be [email protected]. Is this simply a hostname change? Or do I simply change a postfix value?

I am using Ubuntu 5.1 with, as I stated above, postfix. :(

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

How do you send the emails? With an email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook Express, with a command, from a script, etc?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you use ISPConfig or have you configured your mailusers manually? Is your domain in the file /etc/postfix/local-host-names?

4. ejkeebler

ejkeebler New Member

Answers

Yes I use an email client - Thunderbird and Outlook, and both can send emails to [email protected], but both get return to senders when sending to [email protected]. When I send either from mailx or from thunderbord they arrive as [email protected]

I am using Maildir, Postfix and Courier if that makes a difference.

As for the user mail clients setup, I do have ISPconfig installed but do not use it, as I really don't see the point since I just wanted to setup a working mail server, so.... I just create users with adduser and then send an email to that [email protected] and tada, Maildir is created and that user has a mailbox.

Hope those answer the questions you had, thanks for the help!

5. falko

6. ejkeebler

ejkeebler New Member

Still Broke

Thanks falko, I'm guessing I found the problem I checked my /etc/postfix/local-host-names and it had basically every possible domain combination in there:
    localhost
    server.domain
    localhost.server.domain
    localhost.domain
    domain

so I checked my main.cf and I saw the mydestination line is commented out and does not contain "domain", it does have locahost etc. Could this be the issue?

I also checked the virtualusertable and did notice an entry probably from when I was messing around with ISPConfig trying to figure it out.

If this is the issue how does the server know that when mail is sent, to send it out as [email protected] and not one of the others, like [email protected]??

Thanks again

--Update
    just uncommented the mydestination line and added domain.com to it, restarted postfix and when i send out mail it still comes as server.domain.com and when sending to [email protected], I have not received a return to sender (as I was before), but have not received the email yet either.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  7. falko

Did you run

Code:
    postconf -e 'virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable'
    postconf -e 'mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names'
    Did you run
    Code:
    postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    after you've changed /etc/postfix/virtusertable?
    All the information you need is in this post: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4&postcount=2

8. ejkeebler

ejkeebler New Member

Well thanks anyway

Email is still not coming from [email protected] but from [email protected] instead and email still not being received when sending to [email protected], no big deal at least it works which was my goal, im sure I just didn't set a hostname value or something like that somewhere, I plan on setting up a new one again anyway ;)

Thanks for all the help.