email sending email but not receiving.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zustudios, Feb 1, 2016.

1. zustudios

zustudios Member

My email is sending emails but not receiving emails. My ispconfig 3 is on a lxc container through proxmox 4. Any idea what could be the problem?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which errors do you get in the mail.log?
    Can you reach port 25 from outside?
    Is the MX record of the domain name set to the hostname of this virtual machine?

3. zustudios

zustudios Member

What's the directory for the mail.log so I can post it? I can't reach port 25.

4. till

The mail log is in the folder /var/log/

5. zustudios

zustudios Member

I think it's blocked by my ips.

6. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I'd rather understand why certain providers block outgoing port 25 - but incoming?
    Open two shells to your server, one doing
    $tail -f /var/log/mail.info or $tail -f /var/log/maillog - depending on your operating system
    And on the other side restart postfix, also amavisd and dovecot services
    Are there any errors? Do you see something going on when trying to send mail to your server?

7. zustudios

zustudios Member

I think it was block by my isp. I've moved my server to a datacenter.

8. pinguinito

pinguinito Member

Fresh install. ISPConfig in Debian. Emails not sending or receiving. Could someone suggest me where to start my troubleshooting? Please

upload_2018-10-31_10-59-2.png

9. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

looks like outgoing port 25 is probably blocked, and also you do not have ipv6 connectivity.

10. pinguinito

pinguinito Member

"looks like outgoing port 25" To fix this it will be on the router?

Thanks a lot for your replay

11. Jesse Norell

Typically that would be blocked by your ISP/vps provider, not a router that you own; to fix it, contact your provider and ask them to unblock it.

12. pinguinito

pinguinito Member

Excellent! You are right with the port 25 being black. I used Nmap and it not show port 25.
    Thanks a lot Jesse

13. pinguinito

pinguinito Member

My ISP told me to use port 587 instead of 25. How can I change this now?

14. Jesse Norell

You cannot run a mail server without port 25 being open both inbound and outbound; port 587 is used for your clients to authenticate to your server and send mail. So make sure your ISP knows you're running a mail server, and if they won't open port 25 for you, you'll have to "do something else". Eg. move your server somewhere where running a mail server is allowed, or setup some other mail server/service elsewhere on the internet to relay your mail in/out of your server.

pinguinito likes this.
  15. pinguinito

pinguinito Member

This is the information my ISP provided me. Is this an option on ISPConfig environment?

upload_2018-10-31_13-7-45.png

16. pinguinito

pinguinito Member

I understand. Thank you so much

17. pinguinito

pinguinito Member

The response was:

The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720 [mail.example.com. xx.xx.18.233: timed out]

how can fix this? mail.example.com its pointing to the right IP. How can I create a subdomain ? or a virtual server ?
    for mail.example.com ?

my server name is server1.example.com

18. till

Seems as if your provider blocks port 25 incoming then, this means you can not run a mail server with that provider (no matter with or without ISPConfig>). If you want to run your own mail server, then get a virtual server in a datacenter e.g. at Linode, Hetzner or digitalocean.

The domain / subdomain does not matter, so that's not the reason for your problem. Your provider blocks port 25 incoming which means that you can not run a mail server which is able to receive emails with that provider.

19. pinguinito

pinguinito Member

Thank you so much