Email Setup with 3rd Party DNS Management

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ashkar18, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ashkar18

ashkar18 New Member

Dear All,

I have domains in Godaddy and i use Godaddy DNS management.
    I have disabled DNS-Server from ISPConfig3
    for me its easy to manage DNS from godaddy or other domain providers. ( many of the domains use gsuite or Zoho services for email, so i setup MX records for them from godaddy itself)

The question is i need to use POP3 with one of my domain - and i dont know what are the specific steps to use ISPConfig3 to manage the emails.

1. what are the mx records need to be used in go daddy
    2. What is the Incoming server and SMTP server to feed to Outlook ( I have created email accounts inside ISPConfig3 , but its not working with outlook - i used domain name as incoming and outgoing server)
    3. is there any additional Records need to be added in Godaddy ?

Please help me out -

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Create an MX record for the domain using the hostname (not ip address) of your ISPConfig mail server.

Any name that resolves to your IPSConfig mail server, or even the ip address itself, could be used. One consideration is that if the name you use (eg. mail.domain.com) is not included in the SSL certificate used by postfix/dovecot, your mail client will complain, so most often you will use the server's hostname itself, if that is what is included in the certificate. (eg. say you have server.hoster.com as your server name, and an SSL certificate for that; if you use mail.customer.com as the servername, you will get an error, though you can usually just dismiss the message and continue using it)

It's a good idea to setup a DKIM record for your domain and SPF records for your domain (and even for hostnames under your domani), and a DMARC record to specify a DMARC policy. It's not required, but it will improve your mail delivery and can increase security (eg. phishing emails purporting to be from your domain could be blocked).

3. ashkar18

ashkar18 New Member

thanks for your reply.
    ISPConfig mail server. - this u mean the same ispconfig i am using for the websites right ?
    i am hosting the same domain's website in the same ispconfig -
    so already A record of the domain is the ip address of the server.
    then i added MX record as u said , used the domain name itself, as it is is pointing to the same ip
    go daddy saved it like below,
    MX @ @ (Priority: 10) 600 seconds
    they (godaddy) use @ because it is the same domain name, i am clear this point.

then coming to ispconifg,
    under the email section,
    i added the domain, under the mail box section i added an email address.
    in outlook i used the incoming and outgoing server - domain name itself (this points to server ip)
    this setup is NOT working.
    do i need to do something on Email Routing on ISpconfig ?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This should work when the domain really points to the server and when you used the full email address as username in outlook. Which exact error message do you get?

No.

5. ashkar18

ashkar18 New Member

used full email id as user name
    outlook shows-
    Tick mark for log on to incoming mail server (pop3)
    Send test mail (failed) - smtp issue.
    how to resolve this pls

6. till

Which tutorial did you use to install ISPConfig on your server and which server operating system?

7. ashkar18

ashkar18 New Member

8. till

Then you can find the mail log in /var/log/mail.log

9. ashkar18

ashkar18 New Member

Dec 6 17:42:43 ip-172-31-20-140 dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<{MYDATA}>, method=PLAIN, rip={my local PC Ip}, lip={this is aws LAN ip}, mpid=24943, session=<o4iiBl58czRcYk4F>
    Dec 6 17:42:43 ip-172-31-20-140 dovecot: pop3({MYDATA}): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/0, size=0

10. till

That is an info that your mail client that connected to pop3 successfully and not an error. There must be errors when outlook is reporting an error.

11. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Or possibly the ports for sending mail (25, 465, 587) aren't open, then it would fail with no error in the logs.