Enabling Postfix SMTP Over TLS (SMTPs)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by emad, Jun 10, 2016.

1. emad

emad Member

Hello,

I wanted to enable smtp over TLS (smtps), this FAQForge article suggests to uncomment the next line in master.cf
    Code:
    smtps  inet  n  -  -  -  -  smtpd
    but this wouldn't work and my mail client (Thunderbird) stuck trying to connect to the server and returned with the timeout error message after a while.

During my search I knew I had to uncomment the next two lines also. This page suggested to uncomment more lines but those only two lines was sufficient to make it worked.
    Code:
       -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
       -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
    My questions are:
    * Are these settings the best for security and performance ?
    * Is the master.cf one of those files which got overwritten on the ISPConfig update ? and if so how to protect the modifications ?
    * I didn't find a method in ISPConfig GUI to enable smtps, Am I right or I missed something ?

Server: Perfect ISPConfig-3.0.5.4p9 / Ubuntu-12.04

Please update the FAQForge article.

Thank you in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. emad

emad Member

First of all thank you Till For your reply.

The server initially was version 10.04 and has been upgraded to 12.04, so the ISPConfig setup wasn't included the steps you refer to. What I asked about, Is there a settings inside the ISPConfig GUI to avoid editing config-files (master.cf) directly which may be overwritten ? I'm not sure, Is the master.cf one of the files which been overwritten/regenerated when updating ISPConfig?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is not overwriting master.cf.