EPSV 500 Command Unknown

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Blubmann, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Blubmann

Blubmann New Member

Hello,

I installed ISPConfig 3 on my Debian Buster. I created a server and activate the pureftpd. Then I create a ftp user and try the connection from internal. Everything work fine. Then I try the connection via ftp. I get the welcome message. I could login in with the ftp commands user and pass. Then I typed in the EPSV command. I need this, because my costumer has a proxy in front of his network. I only get the error 500 Command Unknown. Then I typed in FEAT to see the feature list. I see thet EPSV ist listed, but it does not work.
    I try the same on an Debian Buster which ist manually installed. The EPSV command work. So maybe it is only a wrong setting in ISPConfig.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

It's not clearly stated, but you have an "internal" vs. "external" here, ie. you are using NAT? If so, set pure-ftpd to announce the public ip address, and also setup a passive port range in both pure-ftpd as well as your firewalls/routers.

3. Blubmann

Blubmann New Member

Hi,

I test it again. First from internal EPSV Command not work. Then I test it from external. I created an any to any rule in my firewall and disable all other stuff like ips for the server. I created a portrange in /con-Folder and a external accoucment address. I connect to server via telnet. User and Pass Command work. PASV Command work to, I get the external address. But EPSV through the error Command unknown

4. Jesse Norell

Are you using IPv6? I tested 'EPSV' and I get 'uknown command' on an ipv4 connection (eg. 127.0.0.1), but get a successful response on ipv6 (eg. ::1).

5. Blubmann

Blubmann New Member

Hi Jesse,
    I had Ipv4, but I found the reason today. I compare the settings and see that the option BrokenClientsCompatibility was set to yes and this option disable EPSV. I switch it to no and now the EPSV command is recognized. So it is an pureftpd issue.

Jesse Norell likes this.
  6. Jesse Norell

Nice find (fwiw, I also have BrokenClientsCompatibility set to yes), that might be worth a bug report to the pure-ftpd project, to not list features when they're unavailable on the current connection.