ERROR 500 - Internal Server Error! - Joomla 3 site

Discussion in 'General' started by onastvar, Aug 2, 2016.

1. onastvar

onastvar Member

Two Joomla 3 sites on my ISPConfig 3 server have ERROR 500 - Internal Server Error!
    Logs show this
    [Tue Aug 02 15:31:27 2016] [warn] [client 192.168.1.253]
    (104) Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
    [Tue Aug 02 15:31:27 2016] [error] [client 192.168.1.253]
    Premature end of script headers: index.php

In ISPConfig > Sites > Web Domain > PHP = Fast-CGI

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can try to disable the custom error pages for this sites to get more informations.

3. onastvar

onastvar Member

Thanks Florian!
    If I switch PHP to Mod-PHP for this joomla site it works fine.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ok, so the most likely reason for the issue is then that you uploaded the files as wrong user, only the less secure mod_php mode (which should not be used live servers anymore) allows to run websites with wrong file owners.

5. onastvar

onastvar Member

Thank You Till! All of the files are owned by correct user/group (web12/client6). I have 2 versions of PHP 5.3 & PHP 5.4 (Default) if I change to PHP 5.4 site shows a blank page, if I switch to PHP 5.3 site give error described in post #1. I did run chown -R to make sure files/folders are owned by correct user.

6. onastvar

onastvar Member

All my joomla Folder Permissions are unwritable, does not let me chmod, why can't I chmod a folder?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When you use mod_php then you can not write to the web folder. The php mode must be php-fpm or php-fcgi with suexec on to have write permissions as mod_php runs under a wrong user.