error when trying to update apache

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by momo1240, Aug 10, 2019.

1. momo1240

momo1240 Member

Hello,
    hope someone can help me
    Here is my configuration :
    -Debian8 with latest updates
    -Ispconfig latest version
    -Apache 2.4.10
    I wanted to update apache so I can implement HTTP/2, so I managed to add the right repository and it shows me that the latest apache version is 2.4.38
    But when I try to install this version I had this error :

sudo apt-get install -y -t testing apache2
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libc6-dev : Breaks: binutils (< 2.26) but 2.25-5+deb8u1 is to be installed
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

thank you for your help

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I do not recommend installing packages from Testing distribution on a production server.
    If you need Apache2 version 2.4.38, install Debian Buster which has that version, then you have a complete system where that Apache version does run.
    If you absolutely must stay with Debian 8, at least use Apache2 from Buster with apt pinning, not from testing. But support for Debian 8 ends next summer (https://wiki.debian.org/LTS), so maybe less hassle is to upgrade now.

3. momo1240

momo1240 Member

4. Taleman

If you have configured apt-pinning correctly, using apt-get -t should install the dependencies also from the given distribution. I don't know why this does not happen on your host. I repeat my recommendation that you should not install apache2 or any other package for that matter on Jessie from later Debian distributions, unless there are really compelling reasons and you examine the risks yourself.
    One risk is that you must also install other packages from that later release, including runtime libraries. Error message you got show it needs libc6-dev, which would break binutils. You may well have a package on your system that does not work with later version of libc6, Debian project in no way guarantees these chimera systems.
    Now you must sort out the dependencies, install manually packages that apache2 needs, and then the dependencies of those packages. This may recurse deep.
    One possibility is you system has held packages that prevent them being upgraded. Find out if that is the case with
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections | grep hold$
    Why can you not update your Debian 8 system to Debian 10? You have to do it next summer anyway.

5. momo1240

momo1240 Member

Hello Taleman
    thank you again for your help sir
    I wanted to update to debian 9 , but I read that if I do that, php 5.6 will be update to php 7 too
    the cms I'm using on my server doesn't support php7 for now
    that's why I wanted to implement http2 by updating apache 2.4.10 and keeping debian 8
    since http/2 is available from apache 2.4.17, what If I update to this version instead of 2.4.38
    is it safe ?

thank you again for your help sir

6. Taleman