Exact steps to install letsencrypt

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mcdaniels, Dec 22, 2018.

1. mcdaniels

mcdaniels New Member

Hi folks,
    you can really find a lot of information concerning "installing of letsencrypt @ ISPC" but I still don't get the point.
    I am running:
    • Debian Jessie
    • ISPC 3.1.13
    So, to install letsencrypt I have to install certbot. Certbot isn't in the repos of Debian Jessie.
    Means:
    • cd /opt
    • wget xxxxx://dl.eff.org/certbot-auto
    • chmod a+x certbot-auto
    • ./certbot-auto
    the installer now asks:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
    Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache
    Enter email address (used for urgent renewal and security notices) (Enter 'c' to
    cancel):
    --> I put in an mailaddress.

Please read the Terms of Service at
    You must
    agree in order to register with the ACME server at

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    (A)gree/(C)ancel:
    --> I agree

Would you be willing to share your email address with the Electronic Frontier
    Foundation, a founding partner of the Let's Encrypt project and the non-profit
    organization that develops Certbot? We'd like to send you email about our work
    encrypting the web, EFF news, campaigns, and ways to support digital freedom.
    (Y)es/(N)o:
    --> I say No

No names were found in your configuration files. Please enter in your domain
    name(s) (comma and/or space separated) (Enter 'c' to cancel):
    --> I press c

The installer now says:
    No names were found in your configuration files. Please enter in your domain
    name(s) (comma and/or space separated) (Enter 'c' to cancel): c
    Please specify --domains, or --installer that will help in domain names autodiscovery, or --cert-name for an existing certificate name.

SO:
    are the steps correct?
    If so: Is there anything to configure in ISPC3 too, or should it work right out of the box (if I choose SSL and Letsencrypt) for a domain?
    I wonder how ISPC will know where to find the certbot-auto script?
    How is he autorenewal done by ISPC, when not knowing where the script is?
    If I choose a domain and choose SSL/Letsencrypt SSL is not working.

Nearly forgot:
    /var/log/letsencrypt# tail -f letsencrypt.log
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/bin/letsencrypt", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
    File "/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py", line 1352, in main
    return config.func(config, plugins)
    File "/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py", line 1090, in run
    domains, certname = _find_domains_or_certname(config, installer)
    File "/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py", line 427, in _find_domains_or_certname
    raise errors.Error("Please specify --domains, or --installer that "
    Error: Please specify --domains, or --installer that will help in domain names autodiscovery, or --cert-name for an existing certificate name.

also to mention that -if I tick SSL/Letsencrypt in ISPC- the settings are gone when I look into the website settings of this site in ISPC again.
    Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You are posting in ISPConfig 2 forum.
    Not entirely accurate.
    https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/certbot
    ISPConfig finds LE when you force reconfigure services. Remove the certbot and it's configuration you got with wget.
    Things with Let's Encrypt would be easier with Debian Stretch.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

4. mcdaniels

mcdaniels New Member

@Taleman
    @till
    so I am using backports now and have installed certbot via backports.

Will I have to reconfigure IPC services? What will be the correct way to do this?

5. Taleman

Yes
    Use Internet search engines with
    Code:
    site:howtoforge.com reconfigure services

6. mcdaniels

mcdaniels New Member

hi,
    thanks for the reply!
    so I have to run:
    Code:
    php -q update.php 
    I don't want to install a upgradeversion. Will this command only do an update of the existing config, or will I have to download the latest version of ISPC to use this command?

7. Taleman

Where did you get the update.php script if you did not download the latest ISPConfig?
    Since you are now running ISPConfig 3.1.3, which is the latest version, the update.php script is not installing a new version. If you are not running the latest ISPConfig, download the ISPConfig installation package that corresponds to the version you are running, if you for some reason absolutely can not do the upgrade. Or have you modified ISPConfig files so you can not let the update.php overwrite files?
    You should get a test system where you can try out things, much peace of mind when it is possible to do some practice runs.

8. mcdaniels

mcdaniels New Member

Hi,
    I have to say that this is NOT my installation and I haven't used ISPC for a really long time. I don't want to configure things in live environment. As you mentioned it will be better to do this in a labenvironment. Btw. the ISPC files are not modified.

I just thought, that there might be a script where you can say "Reconfigure services only", without loading the installationpackage.

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer