Existing mail and dns servers

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sherware, Apr 13, 2007.

1. sherware

sherware New Member

How are existing mail and dns servers affected by installing ispconfig? I need a control panel to allow clients to manage their own email accounts, but I don't want to screw up the email and dns that is already setup.

- Phil

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is not recommended to install ISPConfig on a server where mail and DNS accounts are already in use. ISPConfig will overwrite the existing configuration.

3. sherware

sherware New Member

Are there any control panels that can be added to an existing server?

-Phil

4. till

It might work with webmin, but webmin is not really comfortable and I guess your clients wont be able to use it.

All other panels I know need a special mailserver configuration, ISPConfig is one of the panels that need the moderatest changes as it runs with the standard mail daemons that come with the linux distributions.

5. sherware

sherware New Member

Do you know what all configurations it overwrites? I could make backup copies and restore them after....

-Phil

6. till

ISPConfig changes:

/etc/postfix/main.cf during installation.

Afterwards it changes the files:

/etc/postfix/virtusertable
    /etc/postfix/local-host-names

For Bind the named.conf is changed.

This wont help you as ISPConfig will remove your changes. You must create the useraccounts and domains in ISPConfig again, otherwise the old users and domains wont show up in ISPConfig and will be overwritten.