ext name resolution

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by JOP, Aug 27, 2024.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It might be, but I won't say that for sure. I know some data centers that deploy their static IPs using DHCP :)

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I did not give detailed step by step answer on how to change name server on Debian 12, because the Debian 12 systems I have get network setup from DHCP server, so I have not examined how to do the setup on the host, or it is a single server setup where I installed OS and gave name server addresses when installing, and have not changed that since.
    If there are many hosts involved and network settings need changing often, it makes sense to create two redundant DHCP servers. Hosts that are permanently at premises get static settings tied to MAC address, visitor devices get dynamic IP address. DHCP means Dynamic Host Control Protocol, but that does not rule out using it to give static configuration to hosts that need it. I have set up these environments and it works well.
    So if the original question is about how to change the name server a host uses, if it gets network settings from DHCP, those new settings are configured at the DHCP server. But this thread seems to be on how to change them on the host, so in that situation it is best to not install dhcp client to just confuse things.