Fedora 8 on a Laptop

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cybereatl, Jan 31, 2008.

1. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Hi folks, am turning myself 100% to Linux, and I have some little issues with sound, Wlan and Web camera:

Sound: it shows some devices, but no sound at all, there is a list:

0. HDA Intel
    1. Realtec ALC268
    and shows up another 3 with ALC268 but no sound at all.

Wlan: there is any way to reduce time on boot to determine ip for wireless adapter? in some wau to skip it??? also how do I remove asking for password every single time that it's connecting to my network, that it's odd

Webcamera: I got a problem due to webcam it's a USB device and no scanner or camera software can detected, I've install some ms software and still comes out as a USB Camera.. how do I configure my webcam built in computer??

That will be all, any hints will be appreciated.

Kind regards :cool:

2. daniel_curry

daniel_curry New Member

<snip>

Wlan: there is any way to reduce time on boot to determine ip for wireless adapter? in some wau to skip it??? also how do I remove asking for password every single time that it's connecting to my network, that it's odd

</snip>

In the network configuration tool there is a checkbox for the device to be active at boot time or not. Remove that checkmark.

If you choose the next checkmark, you can configure the network device to be startable by a user, rather than root/su.

I have no answers regarding the sound and camera comonents.

Daniel

3. topdog

topdog Active Member

You can use networkmanager for your WLAN it will not start on boot only when you login, and for the password you can use the wallet to store the password, but you will have to open the wallet for network manager to access your WPA details each time it needs to connect you to a WLAN

4. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

I've tried removing check mark on boot, but Fedora has deactivated both network cards, and I've to restart the service and sometimes need to restart service!! So it's not a good option.

Going with network manager also force to activate wireless card to get connected plus you need to give password as well....

I think should be any way to do it automatically without setting passwords, for example on any home network with basic security :rolleyes:

5. o.meyer

o.meyer New Member Moderator

Hi,

deactivate the network in all runlevels, and enable the networkmanager & networkmanager dispatcher (only) in runlevel 5. Additionally you can use pam_keyring to automatically open your gnome-keyring after login. Please have a look at http://www.howtoforge.com/installation-guide-fedora8-desktop-p3 -> step 4.5.1, 4.5.2 & 4.10.

Best regards,

Olli

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  6. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Great tip Olli,

It works like charm, now I've a fast boot :)

I'll keep working with sound and USB Camera.

Regards, :D

7. linuxidiot

linuxidiot New Member

# lspci | grep -i audio

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

if you have the same audio controller family from intel 82801H revision can be 2 or 3 if so follow up the rest of the procedure. With that i managed to get my sound working on fedora core 8 on Asus Laptop.

Following a post in other forum, changed modprobe.conf to be similar to the following:

alias char-major-116 snd
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo
    # OSS/Free
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    # card #1
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Also added /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file with only the following line:
    options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo

But before trying this procedure make a backup copy of your modprobe.conf and try it out.

Regards,
    Mohan :cool:

8. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

In some way am lost, am unable to find proper driver, check it out...

Attached Files:

9. linuxidiot

linuxidiot New Member

See follow the steps i have mentioned

Step 1 in terminal run

lspci | grep -i audio <--------- will give u the audio controller name

if the intel card in your machine matches the card which i have mentioned then follow the remaining steps.

Step 2

Backup: cp /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf.bak

vi /etc/modprobe.conf

Add those paramenters which i have mentioned.

Step 3

vi /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

create that file with the single line i have mentioned above.

Thats it restart your system

10. JoeBlacken

JoeBlacken New Member

Good job linuxidiot

I have Toshiba Satellite x205-S7483, same sound chipset, and it worked great for me. :D :D :D

Thank you linuxidiot :cool: