Filemanager

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Ilko, Jul 10, 2016.

?

Do you want filemanager in ispconfig3?

1. Yes

82.5%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No need for it

17.5%
  4. Who cares

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ilko

Ilko New Member

Hi,

I searched for similar feature request for ispconfig3.1 ... there were some old requests for older ispconfig3 versions several years ago, so in the end I decided to post this one.

Why is filemanager needed?
    Filemanager is important addition to any web hosting control panel. It does not only allows you for quick and easy update/edit of files, but also archive and extract large ammount of files and manage them trough the web interface wherever you are.

How is filemanager different from WebDav and FTP/SFTP?
    After a single click, the whole structure of the web directory and files within it are being revealed. This is not the case with WebDav, or FTP/SFTP, where you need to have additional application and set it to connect with the server (not to mention, that WebDav is not even supported with Nginx in ispconfig3). Filemanager is just easier and more faster way to do things, especially if you are not on your local computer, or you are not allow to set/configure additional third party applications.

What am I suggesting?
    I am currently using monstaFTP, demo here --> http://mftp.live/
    It does works perfectly with ISPconfig3, the only annoying thing is that you have to login via FTP user/pass. The new version of monstaFTP (version 2.0) that is about to come out next months will be supporting SFTP (ssh ftp) as well as some very good features. Is it possible to integrate it completely in ispconfig3 as a filemanager and make it login the user automatically? If there is another, better application to use as filemanager it will be okay as well. The point is to have a filemanager in ispconfig3 ... I am sure, even if this is a paid add-on, many will be interested with it and will be willing to spend funds for it as I do.

cassola-enterprises likes this.
  2. Any open source implementation would be appreciated!

NeonTigerUK likes this.
  3. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

A file manager will elevate ISPC to the top of the pile, even against paid, commercial solutions like Plesk & cPanel

4. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Install Webmin. It is fine to me. :D

5. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

The biggest hurdle is that the filemanager would have to be open source to be included inside of ISPconfig. While MonstaFTP is great you have to pay for it to get features like the file editor.

An interesting open source jquery based filemanager like https://studio-42.github.io/elFinder/#elf_l1_Lw would be perfect as its written in javascript and would fit inside of the structure of ISPConfig.

Also these filemanagers are FTP based so you would have to include a special ftp user/pw or setup a temporary one every time your file manager launched

6. Anders Malmros

Anders Malmros New Member

I would love to see this feature implemented.
    I found this could something like codiad be implemented?

7. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

If ispconfig had built in file manager i would change over from virtualmin because this forum has better support and far better tutorials amd finally because virtualmin is simply too complicated (it has way too much functionality) and clients expect a file manager.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  8. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Why do you need to use a built in file manager when you can use various ftp / sftp client to be used with ISPConfig?

9. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

Because ispconfig is competing with Cpanel (which is the industry standard) and virtualmin, and clients therefore expect a file manager.

There is nothing more frustrating than logging in and out of control panels and ftp clients, back and forth, having issues...blah blah blah.

Honestly, I can guarantee that if ispconfig had a built-in file manager (that was part of the gpl license and not charged as extra like bloody vestacp do), a lot more server owners would change from cpanel over to ispconfig.

Currently, the only alternative GPL to Cpanel for most is Virtualmin (which offers far too much functionality to the point of unnecessary complexity).

im sorry but it is foolish to continue to believe that a filemanager isnt needed when the industry leader Cpanel offers it standard. To give a different example, Nokia set the mobile phone standard for years with an interface and then got absolutely creamed to the point of bankruptcy with the introduction of apples iphone (and of course Android). No one would have believed that possible, but it happened just the same. Using ftp clients for this kind of access is archaic and outdated.

I will admit that i am a regular virtualmin user and have servers with it running, however, i really like ispconfig too for the reasons i outlined above.

Might i suggest that you actually install virtualmin on a server and check out its file manager functionality and the advantages of having one.

10. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Maybe it is more a problem with setup. The usual file manager on users desktop is good, but setting up ftp or ssh connection to server is non trivial. Most users may not know they could do it.

11. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

So far, most ftp / sftp client, whether free or paid, desktop or browser, are working great with ISPConfig ftp and ssh. Pydio and net2ftp also can be installed and used if one really needs his own built in browser based ftp / sftp client. So I don't see any good reason for the ISPConfig developers to create and maintain such a software in any ways.

12. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

from a consumer point of view, and considering the rule of consumerism and marketing that says "rule no 1 the customer is always right" and when the customer is wrong marketing guidlines say, "refer to rule no 1", it has nothing to do with the inability to setup ftp.

People are simply not interested in fart assing around doing such things as running a desktop application on a separate window whilst trying to browse their website control panel. When they log into their web hosting control panel, they expect to do everything from that interface and window...and that is because Cpanel set the standard by incorporating a file manager a long time ago.

Off the top of my head here is a list of well-known panels that have a file manager. Cpanel, ISPsystems, *Virtualmin, *Webmin, Plesk, Vestacp, and even Wordpress (albeit via plugins...but that doesn't detract from the need to have one)

*note I added both Webmin and Virtualmin separately because both have their own individual file managers even when used together (so the combined Webmin/Virtualmin server has 2 file managers.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  13. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Try Filezilla, or simply ssh client :cool:

14. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Use Filezilla :cool:

15. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

what about for accessing the V/M's root directory files?

the beauty of virtualmin and cpanel, when the VPS administrator clicks a URL shortcut, one is taken immediately to a simple login, and from there one has full access to the server root directory and from that location they can perform all necessary server tasks. No need for third party applications running on the desktop and stuffing around.

What i would give up file manager for however, a billing module that can auto provision servers and services. Now that would be gold :p

16. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

17. janvl

janvl Member

Hi,
    I have build Roxy Fileman into TinyMCE for Oxid-eSales some time ago.
    The filemanager is simple and functional, www-roxyfileman-com
    Could this be an idea?
    Regards,
    Jan

ahrasis likes this.
  18. janvl

janvl Member

Roxy Fileman is probably not the best solution, i found this
    http : // techtutstudio.com / top-5-open-source-php-file-manger-for-web-hosting / ?i=1
    (remove the spaces from the link I have too few post yet).

I chose net2ftp, in a subdomain. It is easy to install (just copy) and uses permissions from FTP making it similar to phpmyadmin you have an extra tab in the browser, can upload, download zip/unzip and edit with an editor that even has syntaxhighlighting.

Regards,
    Jan

19. helmo

helmo Member HowtoForge Supporter

20. RaduR

RaduR New Member

I know the old discussion about Filemanager.
    I installed pydio. Well not very good. it fails to upload large file structure. Even wordpress 2000 files is slow and not completely uploaded.
    It doesn't support tar.gz compress or zip so you have to upload filles. That dowsn't work. Pydio Cells doesn't support authentication against ftp server. So this solution even nice and polished doesn't work.

Elfinder looks vpromising but it has a very spartan look (desouraging for beginner user) and for the sake of it i cannot make it work. Its installed but dosent want to mount my ftp. it just doesnt want to.

So guys what are you using that is easy to use by an average joe (lets say a client) . I would even pay for it since it took too much time to find a reasonable way. I'm tying to stay away from other solutions but its hard without filemanager that is web based and can work wit tar.gz files.

For my "clients" this is manadatory and i have to find a way.

Any suggestions ?