Filesystem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by latcarf, Aug 7, 2005.

1. latcarf

latcarf New Member

What does the green arrow mean on some of the folders?

There seems to be to many folders or occurences of /var/named/chroot in my filestystem. I will try to map these correctly below and hopefully someone can explain it to me or tell me how to fix it.

First I have this instance:

/root/chroot (chroot has green arrow) This directory should not exist should it?

then there is also:

/var/named/chroot (no green arrow on chroot)

from there I can click on chroot and follow this path

/chroot/var/named/chroot (green arrow on chroot)

from there I can click on chroot again and follow this path

/chroot/var/namedchroot (green arrow on chroot)

here is where the mystery for me is, I can continue doing this. It is like some constant loop. I kept following this "loop" clicking through each and ended up with over 70 open windows!

Somehow I don't think this is part of the chroot jail (but I could be wrong!). I think some how I just had a mojor operator error while loading BIND.

If it is the latter how can I remove all these extra directories leaving the main intact or would it be easier to back up the files in th main and remove them all then rebuild?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think you're talking about symlinks. Symlinks aren't real files or directories, they just point to files or directories. And I guess that /chroot/var/named/chroot is just a symlink to /var/named/chroot because it's a chroot jail. Don't remove these symlinks, they are important. The loop you're in is nothing to worry about!

3. latcarf

latcarf New Member

okay thanks, I had an idea the arrows had to do with the sys somehow. But I was totally unsure what the loop was about.

Lance