Filters

Discussion in 'General' started by David Alvarez Ortega, Feb 8, 2024.

1. David Alvarez Ortega

David Alvarez Ortega New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have a server up and running with the email running on a second server. Everything works fine.

Have noticed that only Postfix lists and content filters are working. Neither spam filters nor users mailbox filters have any effect. Might this be caused by using RSPAMD? I would need use these other filters. Any ideas?

Ubuntu 20.04 Ispconfig 3.2.8p1

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First, spamfilter and user filters are two completely different things and handled by different programs. The spam filter is Rspamd and it generally works fine, but there is currently and issue that can cause that a config file for a mailbox does not get written and this gets addressed with a patch release today. Email filters are not Rpsmad, they are Sieve filter rules in Dovecot. If they don't work, then you might have set wrong rules, e.g. a common mistake is that users use a 'is' or 'begins with' filter instead of a 'contains' filter to filter for an email address as they forget that a typical from address is not just "[email protected]" but its "John Doe <[email protected]>"

3. David Alvarez Ortega

This is what I do but has no effect:

upload_2024-2-9_12-8-43.png

4. till

That's not a mail filter; it's the settings in which the spam filter policy is applied to a mailbox. You normally do not alter this setting there anyway, as you set that in the mailbox or mail domain settings.

5. David Alvarez Ortega

A bit confused. Lista Negra means Black List and the option is under Filtros de Spam - Spam filters. Says nothing about policies and the fields apply to domain or account and a specific sender email.

Could you be so kind as to leave a link to the patch when it is ready? Sorry if I am being a nuisense.

6. till

Ah, sorry. You are right; I did not look at what you selected in the policy. This is the spamfilter blacklist, it works in conjunction with the spamfilter whitelist to apply spamfilter policies.

You can find the ISPConfig code and the ongoing development in our git system at https://git.ispconfig.org

7. variable99

variable99 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ha, coincidence, I'am to stumbled upon this whitelist/blacklist thing. And my question would be what values can I use in "Email" field?
    Will it support entries like these:

8. till

ISPConfig Manual, chapter 4.7.3

variable99 likes this.
  9. David Alvarez Ortega

How are these filters applied. They do not seem to be doing anything. I am trying to block a sender to a domain using @domain.com for the user and [email protected] for the email field.

10. variable99

Take a look at logs at the moment of email delivery there should be record about filter interaction.

11. David Alvarez Ortega

After updating servers to 3.2.11p and activating filters for client, filters are working. My question now is how does the client filter for whole domain. Unlike my admin options it seems like they can only filter by user.

This is me (admin)

upload_2024-2-16_13-53-8.png

This is client:

upload_2024-2-16_13-55-44.png

12. variable99

For me blacklist spamfilter does not work. How did you test? Any relevant log entries for tagging as "SPAM"?

13. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You need to create a spamfilter user for @domain.tld.

//EDIT: nvm i just realized that you already have and it is not showing up as a customer.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  14. pyte

It happens when you created the E-Maildomain as admin and not as the user/reseller itself. If you create the maildomain as the user/reseller you can select the @domain.tld in the spamfilter settings.

15. till

Are you sure it depends on the login? I think what matters for this is if you select a policy for the domain or not, because when there is no policy, then you do not have a record in spamfilter users for the domain and then you can not select it in spamfilter white/blacklist.

16. pyte

Just tested it again. Even with removing the Policy and reapplying it still i cannot select it. However if i delete the maildomain and recreate as the user i then can select @domain.tld as a user too

17. till

Hmm, ok. I guess we should add this to the issue tracker, then.

18. pyte

Just to make it clear:
    • Creating the maildomain domain.tld as admin
    • Admin can select the user "@domain.tld" under Whitelist/Blacklist
    • Cusomter/Reseller is not able to see "@domain.tld" under Whistelist/Blacklist

• Creating the maildomain domain.tld as Customer/Resller
    • Customer/Reseller is able to select "@domain.tld" under Whitelist/Blacklist
    • Admin is able to select "@domain.tld" under Whitelist/Blacklist
    The policy seems to have no affect. Even if no policy is set i still can select "@domain.tld" as a customer/reseller in case 2.

19. David Alvarez Ortega

Any workaround in the meantime? I have a customer that wants this ASAP for his company mail domain. The domain was created months ago, I cannot delete the domain now.

20. till