Flag / unflag spam with amavis

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tfboy, Jan 13, 2015.

1. tfboy

tfboy Member

Hi,
    I've been getting some legitimate email flagged as spam with amavis / clam on my ubuntu 14 perfect server installation.
    I can of course move the email from my junk folder back into my inbox, but the subject still has the ***spam*** prefix.
    Is there any way I can "teach" amavis and override the default detection flags so that future email doesn't end up in my junk?

I think the email in question was flagged as spam because it started with "Dear friend".
    Code:
    X-Spam-Flag: YES
    X-Spam-Score: 5.034
    X-Spam-Level: *****
    X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=5.034 tagged_above=1 required=4.5
    tests=[DEAR_FRIEND=2.604, DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL=2.438,
    HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_BLOCKED=0.001,
    RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H4=-0.01, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL=-0.01, SPF_PASS=-0.001,
    T_KAM_HTML_FONT_INVALID=0.01, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001]
    autolearn=no autolearn_force=no

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The problem is that the AHBL realtime blacklist has been turned off and now flags all emails as spam (see
    DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL in tests). Try to update spamassassin:

sa-update

and then restart amavis.

3. tfboy

tfboy Member

Thanks Till, seems to have fixed the issue.

4. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

hi Til, I have never been here before and I hope I can converse with you in this way since my problem is from what I can see the same as this individual, yet the fix did not work for me...unfortunately, this is a time sensitive issue...trying to get a business off the ground on a shoestring budget...but ya, i can send but not receive...and I get bounce reports such as the following:

<**********:)********** : host mx spamexperts com said:
    550 High probability of spam (in reply to end of DATA command)

I have been searching this problem out and this forum is the closest I have been able to find...so it seems as though you are my last hope.
    I am running the latest version of ISPConfig that I installed with the bash script...any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated...thanks.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  5. till

Is mx spamexperts com your own server?

6. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

no...its inteljunky.com...spamexperts is the spam filter in the ISPConfig email settings...

7. till

Ok, so you are sending email to mx spamexperts com then? In that case, this thread is not related to your problem as the issue described here is about configuring your own system to not stop emails for spam while your problem is that someone else rejects your emails.

8. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

no the emails that are being flagged have zero to do with spamexperts...when the emails bounce, this is the what is in the bounce report...i have nothing to do with, nor have i had any contact with spamexperts...

9. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

I am receiving a similar bounce report for any email address that attempts to send email to my server inteljunky.com...i dont even know who spamexperts is...other than their descriptive name...

10. till

When you receive this bounce report, then the email has been bounced by that service. Is your problem about sending or receiving emails? This thread here is about receiving emails only, so when you get the above bounce message when you send an email and you are not the owner of the server mx spamexperts com, then your problem is not related to the above issue.

11. till

Most likely your domain points to that mx server then as ispconfig systems don't use such a service.

12. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

it is when an outside email sends an email to my domain inteljunky. I can send email from this domain, but cannot receive. I have been all over the DNS...there is no reference to spamexperts anywhere, I have installed no third party software to do anything with email, there is no connection outside my server to this service...the only thing I installed onto the server (other than Ubuntu) was Jed because i like that text editor better than the boxed editors, and ack-grep so that I can search for spamexperts within configuration files on my system...and of course the bash script that installs ISPConfig.

13. till

Is this your IP 66.103.34.254 ? I just send a test mail and I did not receive a bounce, but connections to that IP which is the mail exchanger for your server are timing out.

14. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

that is my IP address yes...connections to that IP are timing out...i have no problems with the websites i have hosted...they are very quick...is this something that works differently? If so, it would not be the entire IP...and where would I be able to look for that? And why when someone sends an email to the email account I have that I am testing with do I get a report listing the email address that attempted to send to me and the reference to spamexperts that it was a flagged email address? Thanks for your assistance so far...

15. till

Are you sure that your ISP allows you to run a mail server on that connection? If your server is not in a datacenter, then your ISP probably locked port 25 and disallows it to run mail server systems.

and the spamreports system is probably either a service that is invoked by the provider that you are sending mails trough or by the provider of the internet line that you run the server at.

16. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

no...i am running a business account with a static ip...and when i spoke with them about what i am doing, they indicated that i have to use my own server for sending ie mail dot inteljunky...and of course, I use my own for receiving...

17. till

And you run this own server in a datacenter and not on that business line? When a business provider tells you that you have to run your own server then they probably mean that you have to rent one in a datacenter that is not connected to the line and IP they sold you because they block like most providers these days port 25.

18. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

and port 25 is smtp...that is only used for sending email, as mentioned above...i have no issues using my server to send email...the only issue is in receiving...and when someone sends me an email to this server, when i check email...on the server...i get the error report about being the sending email address being blacklisted by spamexperts...

19. till

You mix up incoming and outgoing emails. Port 25 is used by any system to receive mails and port 25 incoming is blocked in your case, so mail receiving can not work.

Currently, your mail system can not be accessed from the internet, there are basically 3 scenarios.

a) Your ISP blocks port 25
    b) You have a router or firewall in front of the server that blocks port 25 or you did not forward port 25 from your router to your server.
    c) your mail system is not running or not listening on the external IP

20. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

im am absolutely sure they are not blocking port 25...that is smtp...i can send you an email right now from inteljunky and you will receive it guarantied...i promise you that you are not dealing with a newbie...i am a computer engineer for 30 years...ive worked with thousands of servers...but i have only hosted my own websites on my own server for just over one year...and i was very selective when selecting a service provider which also supplies my IP address...the problem is existing on the ubuntu server where my install is sitting...