Flag / unflag spam with amavis

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tfboy, Jan 13, 2015.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I explained that already in #15. When you get that report but I don't get it when I connect from a datacenter in the internet to your IP from another mail system, then this service is invoked either by the ISP that you send the test mail trough or it is invoked by the IP ISP that you run your server at as a kind of default mail route.

2. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

ok, but...i think there is a misunderstanding here...i am sending email from a hosted account, several actually to my inteljunky server, the one that i am hosting here at my office...i can send email from this server...i can do it through PHP mail, i can do it through SquirrelMail and the emails are received at the other end...ive been over this with my ISP...they have many businesses, even other ISPs that use their service...I have spoken to them at length prepurchase and post purchase...and if they were blocking ports, i would not be getting a notification in my inteljunky email saying that the email that is attempting to send me an email has been blacklisted by spamexperts...i would receive nothing...

3. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

Interesting, I have sent test emails from my own hosted account joltsystems, from gmail and hotmail...all having the same result...i know that my ISP is sending direct anything that wants my IP address...so I cannot see how this can be...

4. till

There is no misunderstanding, you just don't know how mail systems communicate with each other. Port 25 is used for the communication between mail server systems and not just for sending emails and the system on your IP blocks port 25 incoming. I listed the three possibilities in #19.

And as you can see, there is no mx spamexchange com involved when someone from a real external IP tries to connect to your server.

I'll show you the difference between a mail system where port 25 is not blocked:

Code:
    root@mail:/# telnet 78.46.214.220 25
    Trying 78.46.214.220...
    Connected to 78.46.214.220.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 mail.ensign.de ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
    quit
    221 2.0.0 Bye
    Connection closed by foreign host.

and your system where port 25 is blocked:

Code:
    root@mail:/# telnet 66.103.34.254 25
    Trying 66.103.34.254...
    ^C

I interrupted the connection then after some time as your system does not allow the connection.[/code]

5. till

Btw. did you even look into the mail.log file of your server? You claim the bounces were all send from ispconfig, so youmustt see the bounce messages when they were generated by postfix in the mail.log of your local server system.

6. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

rofl, ive written many email programs in many different languages...from way back with Pascal to more recently with PHP...i think that there is a misunderstanding, I was assuming that you would know how to help me...thanks for trying.

7. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

yep I did...this is what its reporting:

Oct 25 14:38:03 webserver dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<[email protected]>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.$

8. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Okay, I'll try to explain it the easy was – maybe you understand the problem then:

You try to receive mail to @inteljunky.com
    The mail server for inteljunky.com is mail.inteljunky.com
    Code:
    ~$ host inteljunky.com
    inteljunky.com has address 66.103.34.254
    inteljunky.com mail is handled by 0 mail.inteljunky.com.

The mail.inteljunky.com resolves to 66.103.34.254
    Code:
    ~$ host mail.inteljunky.com
    mail.inteljunky.com has address 66.103.34.254
    So when someone tries to send you an email, no metter from what source (exept your own server) the sending server connects to 66.103.34.254 port 25.
    Code:
    ~$ telnet 66.103.34.254 25
    Trying 66.103.34.254...
    Connection timed out.
    The reason that you get the error message you mentioned is that it is an OUTGOING mail from you that is blocked before it is accepted by the target server and such there is no need for the foreign server to connect back to inteljunky.com on port 25.
    Your port 25 may be open for outgoing and established connections so you can send out mails, but it is definitely closed for INCOMING connections so you won't get any mail from a foreign server. That's that.

9. till

Ok, so you're a pro so I don't have to explain you details on how email works. Then it should be easy for you to:

1) Post the bounce message that postfix created in the mail log file of your mail server. Bounce messages are from "postfix/smtpd" and contain the words bounce or reject.

2) Explain to me how an external mail system should be able to connect to your server when port 25 incoming is closed.

That's not a bounce message and not related to receiving an email. As a professional mail program developer. I'm sure you know what pop3 is and when a log line tells you that there was a pop3 connect, that this can't be related tp bounce messages.

10. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

no that which i posted was not a bounce...that was the line in the log file that seems to be causing the issue...i attempted to post the bounce here, but this system says i dont have enough points to post links...and im not getting snooty with you friend...i dont understand why you are...not professional...I will give you an entire course on pop3 or smtp...i used to teach software development at a campus of the U of T...wouldnt hurt here it seems...I know very well what pop3 is...ive done raw pop3 communications through PHP...generally port 110...unless its secure...but that isnt part of this discussion...

11. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

12. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

wow...Croydon, thanks...this is what I was assuming the issue was...the entire time...but I didnt configure anythign on this server, I just used the bash script for ISPConfig...i will look at the link you provided...and see if that tells me anything that can help...i never used amavis nor have I ever heard of it.

13. till

The message you posted is a pop3 client connection from an email clent. It is not a connect caused by e.g. gmail that tried to deliver a message. Pop3 errors are not related to to problems where incoming emails are rejected.

Put the full log excerpt that you get in the mail.log of your server when you send an email message from gmail to it inti a txt file and attach it to your post.

What @Croydon posted is the same thing that I posted already. Your server rejects port 25 incoming connections. So when you assumed that your server rejects incoming connections on port 25, why do you deny it then when I say it?

14. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

Till, correct, I posted a pop3 log...that is what I need to check my server for email...if I cannot connect to my pop3 server, then I cannot receive email...is this not correct? It fails connecting to my pop3 server...so if email is not getting through to my server, I would never know because SquirrelMail (which was installed by the bash script I installed onto my ISPConfig /webmail folder) is unable to connect to my server through pop3...so whether my smtp port is blocked or not...this would have no bearing on the issue I am dealing with since i am not receiving email on my server...when my SquirrelMail checks email, it is told that authentication failed...if my smtp port is blocked, that is a separate issue. The log file is telling me that I cannot receive email....i am not receiving email...now to clarify, I have received a few emails on this server...ive attempted to send about 75 and received 4 or 5 successfully...now if that doesnt sound confusing, I dont know what does...but...it is failing in checking for email...that is the issue that I see happening here.

15. till

Here a short test that you can do to see if the local mail system is working properly: Login to roundcube webmail on your server with y web browser by using the email address and password of an email account that you created in ISPConfig. Then send an email from within roundcube to the address that you used for the roundcube login. This test email should arrve aftre a few seconds in the roundcube inbox. If yes, then the local mail system is configured correctly. If not, then there is a problem with your local server configuration, in that case post the lines form the mail.log file that got added by this test.

16. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

ok, it did not install roundcube, it installed SquirrelMail, that is not important. I will do your test now with SquirrelMail and see what happens.

17. till

Thats's not correct. Receiving email and fetching mail from your inbox are two different processes and even completely different applications on the server which do not depend on each other. The log you posted shows that you can not fetch email by pop3 that has been successfully received but this is not related to the bounce message that you receive from mx. spamexchange when you try to send mails to your system and not to the closed port 25 that Croydon and I pointed out. You might have two different problems here and I'm currently working with you on the first issue which is about receiving emails.

18. till

Squirrelmail is fine as well for that.

19. Victor Dugas

Victor Dugas Member

ok, the test email that i sent to myself from SquirrelMail was received...

20. till

Ok, so your local mail system seems to be working then when you received the mail inside squirrelmail. Please post the result of the command:

netstat -tap | grep smtp