FreeBSD support

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by calande, May 7, 2006.

1. calande

calande New Member

Hello Falko and the team, I'd like to congratulate on the quality and usefulness of your howto web site and the ISPConfig application. I haven't tried it yet, just played around with the online demo :rolleyes:

I am primarily a FreeBSD user, and if you could provide FreeBSD support that would be so cool;)

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

We haven't planned this... :eek:

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We would like to have FreeBSD support, but currently none of the developers uses FreeBSD and the current development team is not able to support more platforms. Volunteers that want to implement FreeBSD support in the installer are always welcome :)

4. calande

calande New Member

Thanks for your reply. I think ISPConfig is a pretty complex application. Apart from different paths to archives and directories, do you know what other differences there would be between Linux and FreeBSD support?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Another firewall (ipfw vs. iptables), different paths and a lot of other small differences (e.g. the root group is named wheel instead of root).
    Basically it's possible to run ISPConfig on FreeBSD, but you'd have to do a lot of modifications to the source code...