FTP access problem...

Discussion in 'General' started by ctroyp, Oct 7, 2005.

1. ctroyp

ctroyp New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have one domain setup under my admin account. I have another domain under another account. I have ftp setup the same (to the best of my knowledge) on both accounts. Under the second domain I can access the ftp files fine, but under the first, I can access the ftp site, but it is in the wrong directory. The directory should point to: /home/www/web1/web/, correct. It actually points to: /home/"username"/.

I have looked in the ISPConfig files, including Vhosts and everything seems to point to /home/www/web1/web/. Why is the ftp site not being directed properly? Would it have anything to do with my LAN setup?

Oh, also when I login to the ISP CP, under the admin account, it does direct me to the appropriate folder.

The second issue may correlate to the first, so I am posting them together. I can access the ftp sites for either domain setup in ISP config from anywhere outside of my server. But when I open my browser on the server and type in the ftp url for either one, I get a "530 Login incorrect!" alert popup. It doesn't even allow me to enter a login. Does this mean that anon users are enabled? If so where else can I disable anon access? I though I did this already...

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Make sure you're using the right ftp user for your first web site. To me it seems as if you had set up a usef manually on the shell with the homedir /home/user, and you're using this user for ftp.
    You have to use a user that you set up with ISPConfig.

If anonymous ftp was enabled, then you wouldn't get the "Login incorrect" message.
    Did you try this syntax in your browser?
    ftp://<username>:<password>@<ftpserver>

3. ctroyp

I used your Perfect Setup for Fedora, but I did setup a user with the same username as the user setup in ISPConfig, after installing fedora but before installing ISPConfig. How can I fix this?

Strange, that actually took me to the right directory? But this is from outside my server...I will try the server later.

4. falko

What do you mean with that? :confused: Do you mean you created a user manually on the shell, and later created the same user in ISPConfig?

5. ctroyp

Yes, correct...

6. falko

I'd simply comment out your manually created user in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. :)

7. themachine

themachine New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Your not alone

I had the same thing happen. I manually setup a user, which was created as "UID 10012". Then ISPConfig created a user with the same UID... so I had duplicates in my /etc/passwd.

I simply just manually editted /etc/passwd with 'vi' to change my *manually* added user's UID/GUID's to 512. I then had to go to this user's home directory and chown the files to change the ownership UID:GUID to the new number.

# chown -R username:groupname /home/username_dir

The '-R' changes all files/folders recursively... so be aware that there are certain files that may be owned by root in the user's dir... like:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 544 Oct 11 08:33 .antivirus.rc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 742 Oct 11 08:33 .autoresponder.rc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22 Oct 11 08:33 .bounce-exceed-quota.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 67K Oct 11 08:33 .html-trap.rc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.8K Oct 11 08:33 .local-rules.rc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 180 Oct 11 08:33 .mailsize.rc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 321 Oct 11 09:07 .procmailrc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.6K Oct 11 08:35 .quota.rc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.2K Oct 11 08:35 .spamassassin.rc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.6K Oct 11 08:33 .user_prefs
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 11 08:33 .vacation.cache
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 11 08:33 .vacation.msg

thanx.

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

To prevent duplicate user ID's, you can set the minimum userid ISPConfig strts with. The setting is in ISPConfig under Management > Server > Settings.