FTP Help/Understanding

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by filch, Feb 7, 2009.

1. filch

filch New Member

I have just installed the latest release candidate for ISPConfig 3. Nice. However, I am having a few issues (or confusions) with how ftp users are set up, and SSL for more than one site. Oh ... and no matter what I do, all my sites only show the home page for the first site I added.

These first issues stem from the fact that I cannot log in because, (in the logs), it says no such user. So, am I to understand that ISPConfig, when you add an ftp user to a domain or site, does not add the user to proftpd.conf? Am I supposed to add a user in the normal linux way first? Then add the user in ISPConfig?

The second is not really and issue, at least yet but I just want to understand how ISPConfig handles multiple sites that use SSL certs?

Finally, I do not know why all of the sites I have added only show the pages from the first site. I have added and deleted these sites a few times in trying to get this to work.

I appreciate any help with this as I am under the gun here. I need to get a specific site up and running ASAP.

TIA

Dave

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Update to the latest ispconfig 3 from svn. The RC1 is rather old already.

FTP users are never added in proftpd.conf as proftpd is not compatible with ispconfig 3. Please install your server exactly as described in the installation instructions for ispconfig 3!

ISPConfig handles this like it is handled in every apache installation. You need one IP per SSL site as the SSL protocol requires it.

3. filch

filch New Member

OK .. again I must have missed this somewhere. I guess I mixed up the old install directions. I believe that almost all, with the exception of the ftp server has been installed. Unless version 3 is not compatible with Postfix? I think it is yes?

Dave

4. till

The problem is that if you followed ther perfect setup guide, your system is now incompatible with ISPConfig 3. You will have to format it and install it as described in the ispconfig 3 instructions.

5. filch

filch New Member

I just looked through the install guide for ver 3 and almost everything in there I did. The only thing I did not do was the compileuser stuff, which I have now done, the courier stuff because I had wanted to use dovecot ... because it is faster and the mydns .. because I have bind installed and, I am not going to use this machine as a primary or secondary ... just a caching dns server. I am not realy familiar with mydns but I assume it is a lightweight DNS server? Ver 3 not compatible with Bind?

So, why can't I just add in the missing parts (the necessary ones) or at worst, remove ISPConfig and re-install. I do not want to reformat the server as I am running out of time.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Dave

6. till

ISPconfig 3 does not support bind.

Because it will not work. Believe me or not, I've just written ISPConfig 3 so you can assume that I know waht I'am talking about. You would have to undo exactly every step that you did from the perfects etup guide but the software packages will not go back into their original state even if you uninstall them.

Then you should do what I suggested. Finding every problem manually and undo every step will take several hours. Doing a reinstall can be done within an hour.

7. filch

filch New Member

I do assume you know what you are talking about. None of what I said was meant to infer otherwise. What I am trying to do is ... understand. There is not much documentation on this and so, if I am going to evaluate ISPConfig for use, I also need to try and understand what can and cannot be done and what the consequences will be of certain actions I might take.

So, you are saying that it is best to reformat the server from scratch?

Regards,

Dave

8. till

Yes. Thats why I suggested it.

9. filch

filch New Member

install ISPConfig V3

So, I am following your instructions to the letter, after formatting my server. All has gone well (but in to my second hour now). I have however, reached an impasse. I have come to the section:

sudo rpmbuild -ta courier-authlib-0.61.0.tar.bz2

sudo rpm -ivh /home/compileuser/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier-authlib-0.61.0-1.i386.rpm
    sudo rpm -ivh /home/compileuser/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier-authlib-mysql-0.61.0-1.i386.rpm
    sudo rpm -ivh /home/compileuser/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier-authlib-devel-0.61.0-1.i386.rpm

The first command seems to go fine with no apparent errors. The next three all say they cannot find the rpm file. I have checked in the destination directory and the files are not there. Do I need to find these and download them or what?

Dave

10. filch

filch New Member

more info

Well ... it seems what the issue is, at least for me is that the rpmbuild is not being built in the directories we created as part of the install. The courier-authlib section was pit in the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 directory, even though I was in as the compileuser. So I changed the path to the /usr/src .... and that installed OK. However, when I try to run:

rpmbuild -ta courier-imap-4.4.1.tar.bz2

it gives me a permission error. So, if if stick sudo in front of that it runs but then gives me the errors:

WARNING .... do not compile as root ... blah blah

This was my bad as the text in the instructions is rather small and the character in the %_topdir, I thought read as $_topdir.

So, trying to redo this.

Dave

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  11. till

better you copy / paste the instructions. This can be done easily with an SSH client like putty.

12. filch

filch New Member

re: install

OK ... moving along here .... I have reached the mysql install portion. Mysql is up and running ... I have set the password and can log in both to the daemon and using mysqladmin. However, when I run the command as per the instructions:

mysqladmin -h ispconfig.local -u root password mypassword

I get an error saying that 'connect to server at ispconfig.local failed' etc etc.

I have re-read the instructions previous to this stage but it looks to me like I have completed all previous steps correctly.

Any idea what this is about?

Dave

13. filch

filch New Member

These are the kinds of things that confuse people when trying to install apps like this: The instructions say to install a number of apps using yum. Among these are clamav-data, clamav-server and clamav-update. It says there are no packages available. So, we do not know if we are supposed to look around the net and find a package ... or if this will break the install if they are not installed. It's just not clear. Just my opinion .. not a criticism.

Dave

14. filch

filch New Member

OK ... now that it is nstalled ... I am back to my orignal problems. I cannot connect with FTP as it keeps says password authentication failed, and all my sites come up the same, using only web1 or client1's pages. I cannot get it to display any of the other sites.

I have check the database and all the nfo seems correct in there, I have looked at the http,conf fle and the files n the sites-enabled directory and all seem correct. My DNS resolves correctly to my router, which has my server set up in a DMZ.

I have spent three days on this and I am back to where I started. Is is better not to use a DMZ? I am stumped. I want to use ISPConfig but I am gettng to the point that I might have to go back to doing this all manually.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

15. filch

filch New Member

OK ... I have it generally working. Finally got the ftp to work and that seems fine. The other problem I was having was that all sites were being served from the first site that I had created. This was because there was no NameVirtualHost statement in the httpd.conf and, the site conf files is sites-enabled as we written as <VirtualHost *:80>. I had to actually add the IP in there instead of the * and that, combined with the addition of the NameVirtualHost directive got it working.

I am sure this is not what was intended so, what do you think I did wrong that screwed this up? Basically, the way it is now, everytme I create a new site, I still have to manually open the site config and add the IP.

Dave

16. till

You can select the IP in ISPConfig in the website settings. If the IP is not listed there, you missed to add it in the ispconfig server settings.

17. filch

filch New Member

Sorry to put out so much noise. I figured out what I had done wrong, which was not an obvious mistake. I had not entered in an IP for my server under Server IP as it was already under server config. However, not having the IP under Server IP as well and not checking HTTP NameVirtualHost was what was causing the issue of having to edit the files manually. So, maybe, just maybe I have this all going again. Is there any documentation specific to Version 3 yet?

Thank you for your patience.

Dave

18. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, not yet.

19. filch

filch New Member

OK .. sorry to bother you again but I am now completely baffled (again ;-(" )

After your help and getting this all installed, I had one problem left. Even though I had several sites set up, only the first site was getting served .. no matter which site I went to. I then realized I needed the NameVirtualHost directive in the httpd.conf file. I added this and then also realized that when I set up the IP for the server in ISPConfig, I also needed to check the NameVirtualHost checkbox. That all seemed to work and all sites seemed to be fine. I got up this morning however, and all sites were back to a non-functioning mode i.e. .. all sites come up as the same site. All using the default index page.

I do not know if I am explaining this very well but I am hoping you might have some idea of what the problem might be. All my site enabled files have the IP attached to them as in 162.168.2.20:80 and the proper NameVirtualHost 192.168.2.20:80 is in the httpd.conf file. There are no errors pertinent errors in the ispconfig error log other than a bunch of:

"11.02.2009-10:18 - ERROR - Unable to connect to the databaseCan't create data
    base 'web5_rr'; database exists"

which I do not know what that is all about. (The error actually talks about all of the dB I created through the panel .. but this is another issue altogether).

... any idea?

Failing that I have two other questions: how do you restart the ISPConfig 3 system and how do you uninstall it? (preferably a partial uninstall).

Dave

20. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you post your main Apache configuration and your vhosts? Any errors in Apache's error log?