Get SSL certificate for ISPConfig admin from LetsEncrypt?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zkvvoob, May 22, 2016.

1. GarGamel55

GarGamel55 Member

I found
    In the folder : /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/
    My servername.conf file has been renamed to servername.conf~backup

I deleted the ~backup

then i ran the command:
    certbot certonly --manual -d servername
    Restarted apache ...

and oh ... the pretty green padlock came back :D

Thanks

till likes this.
  2. Roberto Pensa

Roberto Pensa New Member

Can anybody explain me the inbuild Lets encrypt support inispconfig (latest Version stable version just updated with success). I followed the lets encrypt how to and got the following error logs:
    root@myserver:~# cd /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/
    root@myserver:/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl# mv ispserver.crt ispserver.crt-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    root@myserver:/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl# mv ispserver.key ispserver.key-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    root@myserver:/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl# mv ispserver.pem ispserver.pem-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    mv: cannot stat 'ispserver.pem': No such file or directory
    root@myserver:/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl# ln -s /etc/letsencrypt/live/$(hostname -f)/fullchain.pem ispserver.crt
    root@myserver:/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl# ln -s /etc/letsencrypt/live/$(hostname -f)/privkey.pem ispserver.key
    root@myserver:/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl# cat ispserver.{key,crt} > ispserver.pem
    cat: ispserver.key: No such file or directory
    cat: ispserver.crt: No such file or directory
    root@myserver:/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl# chmod 600 ispserver.pem
    root@myserver:/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl# cd /etc/postfix/
    root@myserver:/etc/postfix# nano /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
    root@myserver:/etc/postfix# mv smtpd.cert smtpd.cert-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    root@myserver:/etc/postfix# mv smtpd.key smtpd.key-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    root@myserver:/etc/postfix# ln -s /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.crt smtpd.cert
    root@myserver:/etc/postfix# ln -s /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.key smtpd.key
    root@myserver:/etc/postfix# service postfix restart
    root@myserver:/etc/postfix# service dovecot restart
    Job for dovecot.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status dovecot.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    root@myserver:/etc/postfix# systemctl status dovecot.service
    ● dovecot.service - Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-08-07 21:44:19 CEST; 1min 6s ago
    Docs: man:dovecot(1)

Process: 12105 ExecStop=/usr/bin/doveadm stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 12111 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot (code=exited, status=89)
    Main PID: 10122 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: Starting Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server...
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver dovecot[12111]: doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 8: ssl_cert: Can't open file /etc/postfix/smt
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=89
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: Failed to start Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server.
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    ESCOC
    guration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 8: ssl_cert: Can't open file /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert: No such file or directory
    ited, code=exited status=89
    mail server.
    d state.
    'exit-code'.
    ~
    ~
    ESCOD
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-08-07 21:44:19 CEST; 1min 6s ago

Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver dovecot[12111]: doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 8: ssl_cert: Can't open file /etc/postfix/smt
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=89
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: Failed to start Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server.
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Aug 07 21:44:19 myserver systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    ~
    ~
    ESCOC

The mistake is clear: The link to the cert file was ok but the link (ln) to the key file was not ok.
    So i tried without success to ln the postfix key file direct to th.

What is wrong with this how to???

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is nothing wrong with the howto, used it several times myself with success. My guess is that you did not create a website for the hostname of the server or the ssl creation with LE for that website failed or the hostname of your server is configured wrong so that 'hostname -f' command returns a wrong hostname.

4. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

So many times now I have run in to problems with these because of different DNS providers.
    When dealing with certbot/letsencrypt SSL certs problems the first thing you should do is check your DNS query from both ends.
    Do you use same settings on both workstation/browser and the server end?
    I recommend using Google DNS servers for debugging. 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.
    Is your server using a slit DNA with different WAN/LAN IP's?
    After you have checked these you can start debugging server config.