Getting the website Up

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by EnDLeSs, Jun 11, 2006.

1. EnDLeSs

EnDLeSs New Member

Ok so I already have a domain name that is registered and working. How would I figure out what the Name Servers of my Server PC is? So I can change it in the Registered Domain name I already have?

I can login in as a user when I create a normal user. But I can not access the "Web-FTP" in the user control panel. It asks to login but when I do it says "Could not connect as user endless"

One last thing. How Would I figure out the FTP information for the user I created. SO I can use a FTP Client to login and upload etc...

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't understand the question. :confused:
    If you wait two or three days, I'll publish a tutorial that shows how you can run your own name servers with ISPConfig.

The hostname can be any FQDN or IP address that is pointing to your server. The username is something like web1_user.

3. EnDLeSs

EnDLeSs New Member

What I mean is how would I get the "ns1.example.com" and "ns2.example.com"
    for my pc. So I can upadate the name servers on the domain I purchased. And host it myself on my PC server.

4. EvanCarroll

EvanCarroll New Member HowtoForge Supporter

apt-get install bind9

man bind

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you installed your server according to one of the perfect setup howtos, your server is already running bind.

Then login to ISPConfig and add an SOA record in the ISPConfig DNS-Manager. For some basic understanding of the DNS system, I can recommend this howto:

http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto

6. falko

I will publish a tutorial about how to use ISPConfig for name servers in the next two or three days. :)

7. EnDLeSs

EnDLeSs New Member

Ok just post back here and let me know.

8. falko

9. EnDLeSs

EnDLeSs New Member

Is this still achievable if you only have on server and one ip address?

10. till

Yes, just use your IP / domain of the server as primary and secondary DNS. The only thing I dont know if Godaddy maybe refuses to to save the record when primary and secondary DNS are identical.

11. EnDLeSs

EnDLeSs New Member

I have a SBC yahoo domain name and it wont save it, As it says that they are both identical. Can I just make up a secondary DNS and use that? :D

12. till

If yahoo does not accept it, it wont help you to make a secondary record on the same IP address. Yoe will need then at least 2 IP addresses.