GoAccess does not support i386 architecture

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by snowweb, Jun 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. snowweb

snowweb Member

We've followed the Perfect Server guide to the letter on a completely clean install of Ubuntu 20.04.
    In section 13 of the guide, when installing GoAccess, but when we run 'apt-get update' we're getting the following error:
    Code:
    N: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/binary-i386/Packages' as repository 'https://deb.goaccess.io focal InRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386'

It seems that GoAccess really does not support i386 architecture anymore (see here). I'm assuming that I have to omit that step now? If so, is there anything else dependent on this?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Are you using i386 version of Ubuntu 20.04? Where did you get i386 version of Ubuntu?
    What shows command
    Code:
    dpkg --print-architecture

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can simply leave it out.

4. snowweb

snowweb Member

Code:
    root@s2:~# dpkg --print-architecture
    amd64
    root@s2:~# uname -a
    Linux s2 5.4.0-74-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Sat May 8 02:35:39 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm just using what was provisioned by my ISP (Contabo).

@Th0m Thanks. I did that. But I'm hoping to go back and get it later.
    Question though: Where it says
    Code:
    Open /etc/cron.d/awstats afterwards...

nano /etc/cron.d/awstats
    ... and comment out everything in that file:

#MAILTO=root

#*/10 * * * * www-data [ -x /usr/share/awstats/tools/update.sh ] && /usr/share/awstats/tools/update.sh

# Generate static reports:
    #10 03 * * * www-data [ -x /usr/share/awstats/tools/buildstatic.sh ] && /usr/share/awstats/tools/buildstatic.sh
    Should I still do that?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You are using 64Bit version of Ubuntu, so the above message that you posted is not relevant for your setup.

6. snowweb

snowweb Member

It's not relevant, but it prevents me from installing GoAccess. Anyway, I guess this is something for GoAccess to fix.

7. Taleman

Have you added architecture i386 on your host? What shows
    Code:
    cat /var/lib/dpkg/arch
    Goaccess should install just fine on 64 bit systems. Something strange going on here.
    You say
    How are you installing goaccess and what exactly happens when installing?

snowweb likes this.
  8. snowweb

snowweb Member

We didn't do this. According to the bash_history, we've never accessed that file, but:
    Code:
    root@s2:~# cat /var/lib/dpkg/arch
    amd64
    i386
    Can I just delete the 'i386' and save the file?

9. till

It does not prevent the installation of goaccess on 64bit systems when you get this message on apt-get update. Just go on with the next step to install goaccess.

snowweb likes this.
  10. Taleman

No.
    I do not know why i386 is added, maybe something you already have installed requires it. On my Debian servers I do not have i386 architecture support added. You can find which currently installed packages are architecture i386:
    Code:
    dpkg --list | grep i386
    I did not find documentation for Ubuntu, but I guess the Debian documentation applies to recent Ubuntu: https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO
    I still do not know how i386 prevents you from installing goaccess, though.

snowweb likes this.
  11. snowweb

snowweb Member

No output from that command :)

Okay. According to the link you sent (thanks for that), this is not necessarily a bad thing. It seems though that developers over at GoAccess may not have taken into account this new "Multi-architecture" feature of debian and have not included a mechanism to handle it. Instead of checking for the presence of AMD64 in the architecture list, and continuing if it is found, they seem to be checking for the presence of i386 and throwing an error if that is found! I guess they were not expecting a "list".

We'd quite like to still get the latest GoAccess, so do you think it is safe to run,
    Code:
    dpkg --remove-architecture i386
    And then after installing GoAccess, we run
    Code:
    dpkg --add-architecture i386
    ?

I'm guessing that the architecture is added into my web host's standard server provisioning template, to give maximum flexibility.

12. Taleman

So you did not follow the ISPConfig installation instructions like you stated:
    It states at Preliminary Note:
    Instead you used Ubuntu 20.04 image provided by your hosting company?
    As to finally getting goaccess installed: since nothing is installed with architecture i386 I would say it is safe to run dpkg --remove-architecture i386. You do not need to add it back, unless you discover you really need something installed from i386 repository. On my Ubuntu 20.04 desktop I have NVidia driver installed from i386, I guess NVidia has not made a 64-bit version of their driver.

13. till

Ignore the message and just go on with the tutorial. I get the same message here on some systems and goaccess installs flawlessly nonetheless when you see this message.

14. snowweb

snowweb Member

Okay. Thanks Till