GoDaddy DNS setup

Discussion in 'General' started by tristanlee85, Apr 27, 2010.

1. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

I have read this article here (http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy) and this is a bit different than I have managed my DNS before. I did not use Total DNS. Instead, I created the 2 hosts (ns1 and ns2) with my server IPs, and then once those were active, I set my nameservers in GoDaddy to ns1.cfcoding.com and ns2.cfcoding.com. This guide shows a different approach. Which one is more accurate or does it matter?

I ask because what I did was instead of supplying my own nameservers, I told it I was using the GoDaddy hosting. That gave me their nameservers and I was able to add in A records that point to my IP using Total DNS and I don't think the Host Summary had any affect there (maybe it did?). So now, since I have my own hosts and set those hosts as my nameservers, I don't get a valid response when querying my domains:

Code:
    [root@ns www]# dig ns2.cfcoding.com

; <<>> DiG 9.6.2-P1-RedHat-9.6.2-3.P1.fc12 <<>> ns2.cfcoding.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 11857
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;ns2.cfcoding.com.		IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    cfcoding.com.		497	IN	SOA	ns47.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2010042600 28800 7200 604800 86400

;; Query time: 25 msec
    ;; SERVER: 4.2.2.3#53(4.2.2.3)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Apr 26 19:42:17 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 102

What's the correct method for doing this?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Code:
    mh1:~#  dig ns cfcoding.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> ns cfcoding.com
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 33215
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;cfcoding.com.                  IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    cfcoding.com.           86400   IN      NS      ns1.cfcoding.com.
    cfcoding.com.           86400   IN      NS      ns2.cfcoding.com.

;; Query time: 264 msec
    ;; SERVER: 213.133.98.98#53(213.133.98.98)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Apr 28 13:52:19 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 66

mh1:~#
    Since ns1 and ns2.cfcoding.com host the cfcoding.com zone - did you set up a glue record?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System#Circular_dependencies_and_glue_records

3. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

No, I didn't. After reading, it looks like GoDaddy doesn't support that? Now for whatever reason, I can't access port 80 to my IP or via the hostname, nor can I 'dig'. Everything timesout on my end, yet when I go to the server itself, I can access the web just fine.

Edit: this is a problem on my end. For whatever reason, when I have both network interfaces active, eth1 handles all the requests just fine, but eth0 times out for anything. If I unplug eth1 cable and restart the network, then eth0 works. Not sure what's up with that, but that's a different issue from the topic's original purpose.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

In addition, when I create a new site such as foo.cfcoding.com, is ISPConfig supposed to create the A record for that or do I manually need to do it? I created 2 more domains and no records were created.