HELP! mail problems still!!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Griff, May 24, 2006.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Then your system seems to be really messed up. Does Postfix log to any other file?
    Maybe you have a rootkit on your server. Check it like here: http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/1_38_en.html

2. Griff

Griff New Member

just ran CHKROOTKIT and only got the following outcome

where possible i don't want to format and start again.

Thanks

3. falko

I suggest you redo the Postfix configuration from the appropriate "Perfect Setup" on HowtoForge.

4. Griff

Griff New Member

ok i've re-done the postfix configuration and now i'm getting a totally different error... the error i'm getting now is

5. falko

Please enable "Server requires authentication." in your email client.

6. Griff

Griff New Member

have already got that enabled but stil that error

7. falko

Can you post a screenshot of that setting in your email client here?

8. Griff

Griff New Member

9. falko

You must fill in the user name under "Use name and password". Then when you send the first email Thunderbird will ask you for the password.

10. Griff

Griff New Member

tried that am still getting a password error...
    i've tried web1_NAME, name@domain, web1_name@domain
    no joy :(

11. falko

web1_NAME is correct.
    Does zcubed.co.uk point to the correct server? You can check with
    Code:
    dig zcubed.co.uk

12. Griff

Griff New Member

Report from Dig

13. falko

And there's still nothing in your mail log?
    Is 70.147.153.67 your public IP address? Is your server in a local network? If so, do you forward port 25 from your router to your server?

14. Griff

Griff New Member

it's on it's own line and Port 25 has been opened unless it's the ISP that's blocking it but i don't see why they're gonna do that when it's a T3 Line, Port 25 is forwarded i've even done a portscan to check from an outside source and all signs are pointing to open. 70.147.153.67 is the Public Static IP yes.

15. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    iptables -L
    ?
    Please also ask your ISP to go sure they don't block port 25.

16. Griff

Griff New Member

Rite have finally managed to get through to tech support and they've said port 25 isn't blocked as many of our clients run there own mail servers. that's that option gone..

17. falko

Then it could be a problem with your router not supporting loopbacks into your local network. Does email authentication work outside your network?

18. Griff

Griff New Member

sorry i'm a n00b to this can you please explain that a little more... how would i check that? i can send emails from another server which is running from the same center but i can't send emails from this server.... we have a fixed IP dedicated to that machine... i dunno if that's what you mean.

19. falko

Well, I was thinking that your server is in a local network, behind a router. But if it has its own public IP address, then forget my previous post...

20. Griff

Griff New Member

ok i've just found out my server IS on a router but it's got it's own static ip ... i've just changed the IP to one of the others and updated everything but it's still not working... any more ideas? i've got a suggestion but i don't know how you'd feel about it ... drop me an email to griff <NOSPAM> zcubed.co.uk and i'll email you the server details so you can login as root and have a look incase i've messed up somewhere... just an idea...

Regards