Help to setup a server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by belick, Jul 17, 2006.

1. belick

belick New Member

I have a basic question in regards to setup a live server. at this point I am using suse 10.1 and ISPconfig. my next step was to assign my domain name with the NS1. and NS2. After tring, I figured that I need 2 IP's to do so and my internet provider give me only one.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to setup 2 servers machines that look the same with 2 IP's?
    2. how to I mirror the servers, it doen't make seince to update 2 servers on every change that I make in my web sites...?

Thanks ahead!

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Officialy you need 2 DNS servers with two IP's pointing to one website...

NS1.IP1
    NS2.IP2

In both DSN there are records pointing to a mailserver (called a MX record) and a webserver (called an A record). There is also an entry from the other DNS. (NS1.IP1 pointing to NS2.IP2 and NS2.IP2 pointing to NS1.IP1)

So... Basically both DNS server records are the same exept that the have an extra record of each others DNS IP's of the DNS servers. (One is called a master DNS and one a slave.)

Anyway.. to keep it simple.. Both DNS servers have the same records (exept the extra record of the DNS), and in both DNS server the A and MX record are the same....

So no.. you do not need to update/mirror your website. The DNS'ses A record are pointing to the same IP.... Your website server IP.

You can use ONE IP for both DNS'servers.. But not all domains will let you set it!

I hope that it's a bit more clear for you now :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  3. belick

belick New Member

This is what I have 1 IP 192.168... assign to that server and one static IP. In the bottom line, I want to have one domain that I can use as the primery ns and to use that with my other domains.

Do I need another mechine? and another static IP?

4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

192.168... Is a LAN IP, and will not work!

I also have 192.168.. and I think many many many more users!

You will need a WAN IP in the DNS. (your real internet IP)

5. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

Due to redundancy is solved on the client with DNS normally a zone should be held on servers placed in two different Class-C Segments....

Why don't you use your DNS-Providers nameservers?

6. belick

belick New Member

I have a static IP forward to my internal IP

7. belick

belick New Member

Do I need 2 static IPS?

8. jockstrap

jockstrap New Member

No - look for a free dns provider to do the secondary dns for you.
    A secondary mail server is a luxury and not NEEDED. You only need it if you have a lot of outages or receive important customer email.

You could get an isp to do secondary mail for you as well.

So 1 ip will get you running..

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Have a look at Ben's post. You don't need to run your own nameservers; this will save you a lot of trouble if you're unexperienced with DNS.

10. belick

belick New Member

Sorry but I didn't get it. let me explain again.

I have:
    1 static IP
    1 linux with ISPconfig
    and 10 domain names on GoDaddy.

now, the only way I know is to assign all these domain names with ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com.

so when I read the "How To Run Your Own Name Servers With ISPConfig And GoDaddy" article I understood that I need 2 IPs for that.

there is any other way to do that? beacuse any domain request 2 enteries for NS in order to direct the domain to my server...

Thanks ahead

11. belick

belick New Member

everything working now, thanks guys.