Help with DNS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mrbronz, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you change the nameserver records with the domain registrar?

2. mrbronz

mrbronz Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes I added the A record with the registrar, ns1.mydomain.com and ns1.mydomain.com
    I have not yet created the nameserver records with the domain registrar as I want to make sure my NS servers will work before I do that

3. Th0m

If you created a A record for ns1.example.com in ISPConfig but ISPConfig is not your nameserver... no address wil be known for ns1.example.com and the lookup will fail. I would advice you to add the ns1 and ns2 records at your registrar's nameserver, wait, and then test. For now, you can test using the IP instead of ns1.example.com, but it can't hurt to add those records to your current DNS provider due to propagation and cache.

4. mrbronz

OK so let me get this right...
    I should keep the A records at my registry but remove them from ISPConfig, is that correct?
    Because that's what I've had

5. mrbronz

so my dig command would be
    dig any mydomain.com @123.123.123.123 <<<external ip

with A records on domain provider for ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com
    And remove the A records from ispconfig
    Should I also remove the NS records from ispconfig?

6. Th0m

You should not remove the A records from ISPConfig.

When using dig with "@ns1.example.com", it will look up the A or AAAA record for ns1.example.com. So it asks the root servers for the TLD (in this case .com) what the nameservers for example.com are. I'll say they are ns1.provider.com and ns2.provider.com. Then a lookup will be done at those nameservers for the A/AAAA record of ns1.example.com, because you want to query that server for a record. Then it gets the record from your provider and looks up what you are trying to look up @ ns1.example.com.

So, to look up using the hostname, you have to create a record for that hostname with your current DNS provider, and your future DNS provider (which is you).

Every change to DNS can take time because things can be cached in several places, so you have to be patient to see the result.

7. mrbronz

So I have to create ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com
    as well as ns1.myregistrar.com and ns2.myregistrar.com

With my registrar

8. Th0m

No, you have to create the records for your nameserver both in ISPConfig and with your provider - right now your provider will be used by all clients, but in the future, the records in ISPConfig will be used.

9. mrbronz

that's what I said!!!
    Or have I missed something?

10. Th0m

No, it's not what you said. You said you'd have to create records for your current registrar aswell which is not needed.

11. mrbronz

oh right ... my mistake sorry

But I have to create an A record on ispconfig