Help with joomla and isp_config

Discussion in 'General' started by sunebeermann, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Webspot

Webspot New Member

till the how to mentions installing things already on the system and for a 6th day user of linux sounds a bit risky. (especially since im not yet familiar with how the linux system installs are held, coming from a gui windows world you uninstall everything loose most data unless you backed up and start again) It also states that the how to is not for 2.2 so again another risk factor right there. Id really love to give it a go but for now it will stay as is and ill manualy run
    cd /var/www/web1/
    chown -R -v -f (admin_of_website):www-data web/*
    to do the testing

2. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

Its not as detailed as I would like

The basic install of suphp and setup apeared to go OK when I followed the guide but the guide for me seems to end prematurely for people using ispconfig. ie it is not comprehensive enough for complet noobs to follow but only at the end where it simmply states make changes in xyz file and I was unable to determine what or where this xyz file was and exactly what changes should be made. It doesnt even stat if its fully compatible with ispconfig and if any changes need to be made to any of the ispconfig files. If it had just a little more info I dont think I would have failed with my attempt at installing suphp. Give me 3 to 6 months from now and Ill probably look back and go that should have been obvious to me but untill then I need a slightly better ending on the suphp guide.

I absolutely need suphp and will persist untill I know the answer and Ill have another machine to play with later next week and Ill go over it as many times as I need until I work it out. But ill not play around on my main machine untill I am convinced I know all the answers to getting suphp working properly. I will post any answers I can once I know them

3. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

Hi Webspot

The chown perameters you have here seem to indicate something different from the setup guide. Can I assume you mean something like web1_admin:www-data web/* which is different from the www-data:www-data web/* as shown in the setup guide.

What is the difference and why would I do it one way or the other:confused

Its ok I answered my own question. Its all good

Thanks
    Steve

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

File ownership

Hi Till

Just wondering if its possible to give files and folders more than one owner and if so how do you do it.:D

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Files can always have just one owner. But files are also owned by a group and this group can have more then one member. But this wont help to solve your problem, there is only one solution:

Your PHP must be executed under the admin user of the website!

And thats done with SuPHP for example.

6. PermaNoob

PermaNoob Member

You're absolutely right, I didn't correctly understand the issue and I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

The only problem I've run into so far was with the news feeds, which said incorrect permissions in the main cache directory (web/cache) , and I chmod'd the directory to 777 which made it work, and looking in it now I see that there are 2 files in it with a .spc extension which are owned by www-data, and have permissions of 644. The web/cache directory and the index.html file in it have the same web13_user owner, as do all other files in the installation that I can see so far. Btw, that index.html file has permissions of 755, so only the web/cache directory itself has 777 permissions.

Tell me what files in your installation have owner as www-data and I'll take a look to see if they do in mine also. I've looked in a lot of the directories, but so far I've only seen www-data in that web/cache directory.

7. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

suphp

Hi Till

JUst another small quiry. Given that most anyone wanting to use any sort of CMS or similar system is going to require suphp Im wondering why its not part of the standard install process in the guides as it seems that most people at some stage have a need to install suphp after having completed all that they believed they needed to setup a perfect box only to discover that its missing quite a few things that most of us seem to need later on.:)

8. Webspot

Webspot New Member

Try installing a module or plugin for me permanoob and tell me its owner, if it grants ownership to web13_user from within a joomla install then we missed something in the setup. If owner tho becomes www-data we in the same boat.

as for which files of mine have www-data ? none as i run the chown command mention on top after every new install of a plugin, module or component.

9. till

Many poeple including me are running even more advanced cms systems then Joomla e.g. typo3 without SuPHP, because the problems you describe appear onyl during installation of a CMS and not after installation. mod_php is much faster then SuPHP and has the ability to define additional PHP options trough the vhosts so its the best general choice to install PHP.

If you dont like the way mod_php works, you will have to install SuPHP, but this does not mean that SuPHP is the best choice for everyone.

10. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

mod_php verses suphp

Hi Till

OK where is the best place for me to look up info about mod_php and learn what the differences are and how to set it up. What’s the main difference and why would I choose one over the other as this is the first time I am hearing anything about an alternative method.:)

11. till

You have already mod_php installed, as mod_php is the way PHP is setup by the perfect setup howtos. Its the default way to setup PHP because its much faster then SuPHP or PHP with SuEXEC and CGI but has some drawbacks with the permissions as all scripts run under the apache user and not under the user of a website. There is no perfect solution, you will either get speed and easy configuration with some permission drawbacks or you get a slower solution that runs PHP under the website user.

mod_php runs as module in the pacahe webserver, so the PHP interpreter has not to be started again for every page request.

The best way to start is to have a look at the PHP manual.

12. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

Thanks Till

Sounds like mod_php is OK if its your own server running only your own sites. I wont be running just my own sites so Ill persist and get suphp working just got to get a couple more bits to complet the build of the new test server.

Many many thanks till, I love this site and have not found anything like it that makes using linux and setting up servers so easy.:cool:

13. till

mod_php is even fine in a hosting enviroment as long as you enable the openbasedir restrictions and safemode. As I posted above it has much better resource handling. ISPConfig is not build to run a personal web server at home and I dont use it for that.

14. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

I will do the research

OK Ill do the research and see from there, It sounds promising.

Thanks Till

Steve:cool:

15. Webspot

Webspot New Member

continuing on to this subject for all others users that are looking to do more of what me and steve1084 are trying to set up
    could one assume if we follow the perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06
    to step 12 and stop there and continue onto
    How To Set Up suPHP With PHP4 And PHP5
    then to go back to the perfect setup and go from step 14 and onwards
    will that work ?
    and if not are there any other includes we need.

as to wether or not the way its described on the perfect setup is perfect or not well if the actuall user of a website does not have the ownership of the files then its defiantly not perfect. regardless of what might work best for people with 6 to 10 years of linux knowledge when any website is setup there should be only one owner for its files and that is the admin of that account.

ISPconfig is a great piece of software i just wish it knew how to do that by default.

thx again for all the assistance

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  16. PermaNoob

PermaNoob Member

Ok, Joomla 1.5 solves the owernship problem by downloading files by ftp. You have to select use ftp in the configuration and put in the ftp username/password.

It's one of the steps in the initial configuration, or you can change the setting on a current installation by chmod 777 your configuration.php file then in joomla admin go to site/control panel/global configuration/server tab/ftp settings/enable ftp/yes , enter your ftp details and click "apply".

After the change, don't forget to chmod your configuration.php file back to 644.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  17. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

Not a Complet solution

FTP in joomla 1.5 is used primarily for instalation of new components and modules and not so much for the general writing and deleting of files so as I have stated before it did not pass my test when I did exactly as you have described becouse FTP is not always used in the normal process of writing to many of the files and if Joomla dosnt have permission to write to its own files becouse FTP isnt used for that purpose then your stuffed as it just wont work. It may be that in the second beta version of Joomla due out soon that the ftp may be used more comprehensively as you describe to overcome ownership issues but at the moment thats not the way FTP is used by joomla 1.5 and it wont solve all ownership problems. It does allow joomla 1.5 to have better than basic functionality and to do lots of stuff but NOT ALL and thats my point that its a partial solution and Not a Complet solution in its current configuration and you need to do a lot more testing of a whole variety of components and modules. But this is besides the point as Its a beta test product and not for standard production sites and dosnt represent a solution to the problem of using joomla 1.0.x

The product in Question is Joomla 1.0.x as thats what we are all using at the moment and will continue to use for some time to come at least the next 8 to 12 months. I am primarily interested in solutions that I can use here and NOW and when the full production version of joomla 1.5 is released Ill then have something real to work with and we will see what it can or cant do at that time.:cool:

18. PermaNoob

PermaNoob Member

Shouldn't it be

chown -R -v -f web1_admin:web1 web/*

since owner comes first?

19. steve1084

steve1084 New Member

chown -R -v -f web1_admin:www-data web/*

I use it this way chown -R -v -f web1_admin:www-data web/*

and this way chown -R -v -f www-data:www-data web/*

switching back and forth as needed and it works!

20. Webspot

Webspot New Member

there must be another solution to this then running suphp or even mod_php
    ispconfig such a great program but when it comes to file ownership it juts dont cut it.

Ive been trying ravencore for a day now and every user you great with it has full ownership of their files. Granted its using a database to store its info but at least it don't require php to run suphp or mod_php .

their defiantly must be a way around this.

Till does your 42goISP Manager 2.0 suffer from file ownerships as well ?