Home server - send email not possible

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by olimortimer, Mar 5, 2015.

1. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of moving my ISPConfig and sites from a VPS in the cloud, to a server I'm running at home. Everything is going great, and working brilliantly, until I tested out the email yesterday - because I'm on a standard Sky Fibre broadband package (ie dynamic IP address), there seems to be issues with sending email through home servers. It looks as though all ISP IP ranges are on certain Spamhaus lists, which means companies like Outlook / Hotmail and Gmail don't accept emails from mail servers running on these IPs.

This throws a spanner in the works.

I don't use my server to host mailboxes, but do use the email forwards to forward [email protected] to [email protected] etc. However Hotmail and Gmail respond with things like this;

Outlook / Hotmail
    Gmail
    I know there's probably no way round this, other than upgrading my home broadband to a package which has a static IP, although even then it doesn't look like they support rDNS, so don't know if this issue will be sorted.

Is there any way of setting up postfix to send emails some other way? Ie auth'ing through a Gmail account to send / forward the emails?

My first thought was to sign up to Google Apps and using their mail server for my domains, but this wouldn't solve the issue for client domains / emails.

Can anyone think of any other solution?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Setup the mail server of your brodband isp as relayserver in ISPConfig under System > server config > mail.

3. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

Ah yes, thanks @till

Looks like that will work, but in a loop with my ISP - have to add email addresses to allow them to relay through their server (using my ISP auth details), and they send an email to that address to verify it...which my server then tries to forward through my ISPs mail server! Haha!

Looks like Google Apps allow relaying too, so might sign up for that and set it up through there - at least if I change ISP, I don't have to remember to check if they allow relaying etc.

Thanks for the help!