Host Name ? Domain

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ezfilez, Nov 27, 2005.

1. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

I dont think my web site is beeing seen from outside the network ... inside it works fine ... dont know if im doing something wroung ... heres is whats been done ..

OS = Fedora 4 Installed with the Perfect Setup and Ispconfig
    Using dydns - filez.kicks-ass.org
    all ports from the router pouint to the servers ip 192.168.1.7
    my host on the server is ( ez ) so it would look like this ez.filez.kicks-ass.org
    everything works fine inside ,,, maybe theres something im missing ispconfig when creating a website ... any help would be great ... here is the link to my site to see if its working

http://filez.kicks-ass.org

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you created a site in ISPConfig with hostname: filez and the domain: kicks-ass.org and IP: 192.168.1.7 ?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Does filez.kicks-ass.org point to your router's public IP address?

4. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

Yes filez.kicks-ass.org points to my routers IP .. i did not try filez as the host ?

Let me try that

5. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

Tryed the host as filez and still cant see the server from the outside .. well i dont think so ... http://filez.kicks-ass.org

any other suggestions ? do i have to create a dns record ? or somthing like that ..

Thanks

6. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

Port Blocked 80

I checked my ISP support page and it looks like the port 80 is blocked from incoming ... here is a list below on what i found ... can i use another port than 80 and just have the link rederict to that port ..

Reasons For Filtering Ports

* Protecting our customers - Certain ports are filtered to protect our customers. We can protect against certain common worms and from dangerous services on our customers' computers that could allow intruders access.
    * Protecting our upstream bandwidth - Upstream bandwidth to a cable plant is limited. If customers overuse their upstream bandwidth by running high-traffic servers or becoming infected with a worm or virus, it can degrade the service of other customers on that node.
    * Protecting the rest of the Internet - Some filters prevent our customers from attacking other computers on the Internet. In addition to being in our best interests for protecting our bandwidth, it is our responsibility to prevent abuse of our network.

Port Transport Protocol Direction Reason for Filtering
    25 TCP SMTP Both* SMTP Relays
    80 TCP HTTP Inbound Web servers, worms
    135 UDP NetBios Both Net Send Spam/Pop-ups
    136-139 UDP, TCP NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighborhood
    445 TCP MS-DS/ NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighhood
    1433 TCP MS-SQL Inbound Worms, Trojans
    1434 UDP MS-SQL Inbound Worms, SQLslammer
    1900 UDP MS-DS/ NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighborhood
    27374 TCP Subseven Both SubSeven Trojan

7. falko

You can use another port, but you have to change the Port and the Listen directive in your httpd.conf. Also, you have to change the fuction make_vhosts() in /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php, because port 80 is hard-coded into it.

To access your site, you'd have to use http://filez.kicks-ass.org:<port no.>

8. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

can i make co-domain or something to that address with port number so it does not have to be typed all the time ... thanks for the help ... or will i need a domain forwarder .. or something .. dont know ... can i use port trigging in my router ?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  9. falko

No, that doesn't work.

No, that doesn't work either. The only solution would be to have a web site at a normal hoster, let's say www.example.com, and in that web site you put a file index.php like this:

PHP:
    <?php
    header
    ("Location: http://filez.kicks-ass.org:<port no.>");
    exit;
    ?> 
    This would redirect you to http://filez.kicks-ass.org:<port no.> without having to type the port number.

10. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

Thanks for the Help ... I think im going to just upgrade to the buisness account its cheap enough ... if not then i will purchase a domain that will alllow me to add what you said ,,,, thanks

11. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

Port 80 in config.lib.php

I tryed to find the command make_vhosts() but not found the only thing i did find was this that looked like the right thing to change to have it on another port is

$apache_version = $this->apache_version();
    if($apache_version == 1){
    $fp_resource_config = "ResourceConfig /dev/null";
    $fp_access_config = "AccessConfig /dev/null";
    $web_port = "";
    $ssl_port = "";
    }
    if($apache_version == 2){
    $fp_resource_config = "";
    $fp_access_config = "";
    $web_port = ":2121"; < ------------ This is what i changed from 80
    $ssl_port = ":443";

Thanks Dave .. please let me know if this is right

12. falko

Where did you change that? Looks like the make_vhosts() function in /root/ispconfig/scripts/lib/config.lib.php - then it would be ok.

13. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

I think i found the right spot ,,,

/etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/

then edit the file Vhosts_ispconfig.conf

after i did that it works ? dont know i cound not find the make_vhosts cmmand in thats file

Dave

14. falko

Don't edit Vhosts_ispconfig.conf manually! :eek: Your changes will be overwritten by ISPconfig!

15. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

yea i noticed that ... it put the file back to it was original. lol let me dig some more on what you told me :D

16. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

i looked through the whole file i cant realy find anything there is alot of stuff containing port 80 but nothing with make_vhost ... do you want me to past the contents here its a pretty long file

17. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

this is the only make_vhost found in the file

function make_vhost($server_id) {
    global $mod,$go_info;

$mod->log->caselog("cp -fr $this->vhost_conf $this->vhost_conf~", $this->FILE, __LINE__);

// alte Frontpage-Webs feststellen
    if(is_file($mod->system->server_conf["server_path_frontpage"])) exec("grep '## FP-WEB' $this->vhost_conf | cut -f4 -d/ | cut -f2 -db", $old_fp_webs);

$apache_version = $this->apache_version();
    if($apache_version == 1){
    $fp_resource_config = "ResourceConfig /dev/null";
    $fp_access_config = "AccessConfig /dev/null";
    $web_port = "";
    $ssl_port = "";
    }
    if($apache_version == 2){
    $fp_resource_config = "";
    $fp_access_config = "";
    $web_port = ":80";
    $ssl_port = ":443";
    }

18. falko

Yes, that's the function I'm talking about. :)

19. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

So all i have to do is change this port ? $web_port = ":80";

Thank you for the help

20. falko

Yes, that should work. :)