hostname and dns

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Nibur, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Nibur

Nibur New Member

Hey!
    I have used "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 14.04 (Apache2, PHP, MySQL, PureFTPD, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)".

Im new and i probally have a stupid question but i need help to sort it out. In the tutorial you use the hostname server1.example.com with the IP address 192.168.1.100 and the gateway 192.168.1.1 . IP have other and no problem to convert but i am not so good whit hostname and dns.

I have a domain lets say test.com and my networkprovider dont support static ip so i need to have dynamic ip and i use loopia to help me update dns when i get a new ip for homenetwork. And just so i think correct, server1.example.com then server1 is the name i use for the server and example.com is in my case above test.com ?

what more do i need to think of when i have that kind of homenetwork to configure ISPConfig? I am very unsure of how to proceed whit configuration on loopia so that my domain name test.com will link to my homepage and webmail on my homeserver.

I have another question aswell, what version of ubuntu should i go whit? stick whit 14.04 or install a newer or older one?

Im nut sure if i am in the correct place to ask this kind of question?

Regards
    Andreas

2. Nibur

Nibur New Member

I figured it out. I know have a server installation up and running whit ubuntu 15.10. Only thing is that i have black screen on the monitor to server. But i can connect whit ssh and configure it whitout any problem. I have the domain pointing to my server aswell.