Hostname & DNS questions...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by SurfingAlien, Oct 21, 2005.

1. SurfingAlien

SurfingAlien New Member

Hi All!

I hope to find someone who could help me out with some questions I have regarding hostnames & DNS

First of all, I'm not an ISP :) As you'll soon discover, I'm not very well versed in DNS stuff also :)

Since I'm more or less comfortable with SuSe Linux 10.0, that's what I'll be running on the server. I've already done the perfect ISP Server Setup by Till Brehm (excellent document!!!), but still remain with some questions... ISPconfig works by the way, but aside to being very slow, pages do not build up completely 9 out of 10 times. Any hints on that?

Maybe it's a good idea to explain what I want to accomplish... I want to set up a server to host a few websites; some stuff of my own, 3 sites for friends of mine, and a site for a group of apartment-owners I'm in the board for. All strictly non-commercial! In addition to this I want to offer POP e-mail & FTP for these sites...

All www.something.tld sites have been registered with (different) ISP's, and have them pointing (A-records?) to my IP-address. This is also done for the [email protected] (MX records). I am therefore not providing a DNS service.

The FQDN of my DSL-line is "r-l-p.xs4all.nl", and resolves to (static) IP-address 213.84.63.92. Is it a good idea to name my Linux host "r-l-p", and the site "xs4all.nl"? To me this makes sense because for one all e-mail Postfix will be sending can be checked by receiving parties to be an existing FQDN and corresponding IP-address...

The intenal IP-address of my Linux machine will be 192.168.1.2 (in a DMZ; apparently my router has trouble doing port-mappings), my router has 192.168.1.1 as IP-address (default gateway).

If I run the ISPconfig setup, at times I get questions about domain names and IP-addresses, and frankly I don't always know which one's I should enter here...

The same goes for setting up new sites; what IP's should I enter where?

Can one of you guys help me out, and give some explanation on it? I would sure appreciate your time & trouble!!!!!

If I am not complete on all details, please let me know...

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
    Peter

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you mean pages in the ISPConfig Interface? This is caused by an incorrect value entered as host + domain during setup. You can correct this by setting the URL in the config file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php to the correct value. If you have no domain pointing to your server, you can use the IP.

Use your internal IP: 192.168.1.2
    As domain for your server i recommend that you make a subdomain e.g. server.yourdomain.com of one of your already registered domains that you point to your server.

Your internal IP: 192.168.1.2

3. SurfingAlien

SurfingAlien New Member

Hi Till,

Thanks for your very(!) quick reply...

Indeed I was referring to display-problems with ISPconfig. I changed the IP address in the config file and all is OK now!

It seems I did set up the host/domain name of the Linux server as you indicated. I've started adding sites & users, and all looks great.

One slight problem though... I've run the chkconfig --add ispconfig_server, and it's listed in /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99ispconfig_server, but it just won't start after rebooting the server. Any thoughts on that?

For the rest: ISPconfig is a fine piece of work and support from you guys deserves a big compliment!

Thanks!

Peter

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Is it listed also in the other runlevels (e.g. in /etc/init.d/rc5.d)?

5. SurfingAlien

SurfingAlien New Member

Hi Falco,

Sorry for the late reply...

S99ispconfig_server is listed in both rc3.d and rc5.d (default runlevel is 3, by the way)

Thanx!

Peter

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can try to delete the S99ispconfig_server symlinks from the rc3.d and rc5.d directory and then use chkconfig to create the system startup links.

I'm not quite sure about the syntax, so you better have a look at
    Code:
    man chkconfig
    before. :)

7. quincywalltech

quincywalltech New Member

DNS Help

There are several options to changing your DNS.

http://DNSServerList.org Is a system of DNS Servers that are truly open.

Also check out or add valid DNS systems to Open-DNS.org.

DNSServerList also has a JavaScript than you can embed into your page that shows the current best server.

Hope this helps.