How and when to update server aps?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by edge, May 26, 2006.

1. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Okay...

I've got Fedora RC4 now about 4 months on the server, and till now I've not done any 'real' updates. (install used: perfect_setup_fedora_core_4)

I'm only using Fedora RC4 with ISPconfig, and all the extra stuff that was needed to run ISPconfig (Apache 2.0.54, Postfix 2.2.2, BIND9.3.1, proftpd 1.210, MySQL 4.1.16, PHP 5.1.4, phpMyAdmin 2.6.4-pl3, Webmin 1.260 and Webalizer 2.01)

The only updates that I have done are the one that come with the new ISPconfig 2.2.3 (PHP, ClamAV, ect. ect.)

Now with Windows, you get this nice Windows update that is checking every day/hr if there is an update..

Now how do you do this with Fedora RC4?

Should I do a "yum check-update" and than a "yum install packagename", or is there some script that I can run to make sure that I've always got the system up to date?

Also.. As my system is running really nice now (after a lot of tweaking) I do not wat to lose the 'system' tweaks. Will this be okay after a yum action?

A thing that I do not want to do is update from RC4 to RC5!

Thank you....

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Normally your configuration files do not get replaced, but you can never know... :(

I don't have a Fedora system here right now. You can run
    Code:
    man yum
    and
    Code:
    man up2date
    That might give you some hints. Maybe you can create a cron job that checks for updates once per night.

3. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Thanks falko,

yum and up2date does look like what I need to use, but do I need to do this for every package separate?

Ant Fedora users here who can help?..

One more thing... I've got a server here (at the momen with Windows 2003 server), that I might reinstall with Debian.

Falko.. As you are a Debian user.. Do you think that Debina will install fine (without recompiling things) on a Dell Poweredge with dual Xeon 2.8 GHz and a 3ware RAID1 card? I do not want to run it in 64bit mode!
    The server also got 4GB of memory, but I do not really see that as a problem thing.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Isn't there a command that let's you update all packages, something like apt-get upgrade on Debian?

I think the RAID card might cause problems, and maybe the 4GB of RAM. Just try it...