How can I use email addresses for usernames

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by skeeta, Aug 25, 2005.

1. skeeta

skeeta New Member

I have removed the username prefix as I want to use email addresses as usernames.
    However, when I try to use an email address I get an error as "@" is not an accepted character.

Could you please guide me to which file/line needs modifying.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You cannot use email addresses as usernames because email addresses aren't accepted by Linux as usernames. There's nothing you can do about it... :(

3. domino

domino New Member

I'm a bit confused here. As it stands, the current username for webmail is: [email protected]

If by removing the prefix web1_, wouldn't the username just be: username@ domain.com? WHich is completely acceptable with the two popular webmail clients, Horde and Squirrelmail.

4. falko

Yes, but skeeta is talking about system users; system users are the part before the @ sign. System users are the users you create in ISPConfig and who can then use FTP and email. The login for webmail is then [username]@[domain].

5. Bedevere

Bedevere New Member

I think this whole set up is pretty good, but it is too bad that users of email readers (Outlook, etc) have to put in "web<number>_Username" for their log in. I too wish I could put "[email protected]".

Along this line I saw a setting for the default prefix for domain accounts. maybe you could create an option to use a suffix instead or to use other fields...so instead of id number use the domain name for the real user name in the system, then you could have "user_domain" or even "domain_user" as the mail and ftp log in which would be more intuative for a user.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  6. falko

Go to Management -> System Config -> Settings. On the tab ISP-Manager you will see the field User Prefix where you can specify a prefix for users. You can use one of the following placeholders:

• [DOMAIN]
    • [HOST]
    • [WEBID]

If you don't want a prefix, just leave it blank.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Mailboxes are linux system user accounts in the current ISPConfig setup. An the "@" sign is not allowed in linux usernames.

8. willcee

willcee New Member

good evening,

i also want to use the full email addresse instead of the system username (web#_username) to login to horde.
    im asking me, why does it function in uebimail with the email address, and in horde it wont run?
    must i set a config entry in horde, or do anybody no how to fix this?

does it run with just leave blank the user prefix?

sorry i dont really understand the answers above...

thanks for help

willcee

9. falko

Because we tweaked Uebimiau so that it accepts email addresses.

10. willcee

willcee New Member

o yes i see... but is it possible to tweak horde that it also accept email addresses?

i know its possible, my hosting provider also has horde an it accept email addresses.
    or could it be that my provider has an other imap or pop server behind horde, who has its own users and do not use the system users?
    thanks for all

11. falko

I think so - if you're good in programming. You have to look up the email address in the ISPConfig database and map it to the actual system user.

I guess your provider is using virtual email accounts, as described in this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier

12. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

If I have used ISPConfig for a few weeks and already created several websites by using Webid as prefix for users. Can I make any change to the users' prefix now? for example:

Management -> System Config -> Settings
    change webid_ to testid_

Will ISPConifg change all the created website directory paths automatically from webXX_username to testXX_username?

13. falko

I wouldn't recommend it. You'll have inconsistent usernames (users with web<xx>_ and users with test<xx>_)!

14. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

Can't you just write a bash file to replace all the related web<xx>_users with test<xx>_user? Or update database with phpmyadmin?

15. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It will be very complicated. You will have to change the database, password, shadow and group files, postfix virtuasertable, permissins in the websites and the ISPConfig database.

16. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

I know it will be very complicated. But since all of them are text files except database,I do hope there will be someone to write a bash file to do the job automatically.

17. transops.net

transops.net New Member

Maybe I can help.

I agree that it would be nice to have a means of avoiding the issue of prefixes in user accounts, at least as far as webmail users are concerned. Let me take a look at your script request and see what can be done. What distro are you using?

18. willcee

willcee New Member

so i think, we'll go back to my topic.

I guess your provider is using virtual email accounts, as described in this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier[/QUOTE]

Can i create these virtual email accounts with ISPconfig? or can ISPconfig only create system Users?

thanks for response

willcee

19. falko

This will be possible in ISPConfig 3. Right now, ISPConfig can only create system users.

20. willcee

willcee New Member

okay... thanks a lot!

so is there probably a release date of ISPconfig 3?