how do i configure my ispconfig dns to work with my registered domain?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gabby, Jul 6, 2010.

1. gabby

gabby New Member

Hi, am gabby and new to ispconfig. I am trying to host my website on my newly installed ispconfig server but getting a little confused with the ispconfig dns zone settings with my newly registered domain ns with godady. Pls how should i configure the dns zone under ispconfig e.i using the dns zone wizard,

DOMAIN: .............. is it my registered domain with godady?
    IP ADDRESS: ........... is it the ip address of my registered domain with godady?
    NS1: ..................... is it the ns that godady issued with my domain?
    NS2: ..................... same ns?
    EMAIL: .................. any email id or id with my domain name?

NOTE: i am getting ftp access to my account i created on ispconfig.
    Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

2. damir

damir New Member

I asume that ISPConfig server has DNS installed and that your newly registered domain is gonna be NS1 and NS2.

DOMAIN: .............. is it my registered domain with godady?
    --- Yes

IP ADDRESS: ........... is it the ip address of my registered domain with godady?
    -- Your IP of the ISPConfig server

NS1: ..................... is it the ns that godady issued with my domain?
    NS2: ..................... same ns?
    THose can be external DNS or yours, if it's yours than you need to setup two A records (ns1 and ns2) that points to your server. After that setup you can change to yours DNS in GoDaddt controlpanel.

EMAIL: .................. any email id or id with my domain name?
    Valid email of your hostmaster or yours.

3. gabby

gabby New Member

Hi, Thanks for your reply. ISPconfig has dns installed but my new registered domain is not NS1 and NS2 but rather NS11 and NS12.domaincontrol.com

Should i insert NS11 and NS12.domaincontrol.com in full in to the NS1 and NS2 portion in ISPconfig 3 DNS zone?

I want to get this working with the external NS of my domain registrar (Godady) first and then later configure my own DNS ns and change it in Godady...

4. damir

damir New Member

If you gonna use theirs DNS servers than there is nothing to setup in ISPConfig DNS, because all DNS queries are going through GoDaddy dns servers. There you can setup A, Cname and MX records.

5. gabby

gabby New Member

well, since i will still configure my ISPconfig 3 DNS later,
    I have decided to take the time to configure it once and for all, and have configured DNS zone (A, CNAME, and MX) in my account on ISPconfig but couldnt link my domain to my DNS zone on the ISPconfig server. When i tried changing nameserver under my godady domain account it stated Nameserver not registered, i tried again to register my own host with the DNS zone i configured on ISPconfig in my Godady domain account and entered my ISPconfig server IP which is 192.168.*.* but it also stated ENTER VALID IP Please which point am i missing here to get this working...

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

192.168.*.* is a private IP address - you must use a public one.

7. gabby

gabby New Member

Do i have to change my ispconfig server ip address to a public ip or what, pls a little more details on what to do.
    and also under the dns zone in ispconfig there is a portion that states that: (Allow zone transfers to these IPs) what does that also do..

8. Toucan

Toucan Member

If your server is on a LAN, it will have an internal IP address. This will start with 192....etc etc. This address can only be seen by computers in the same local area network. However, your server will also connect to the internet whether it by by a router that forwards traffic to it, or a modem that connects it to the internet... this device will have a public IP address.

How do you connect to your ISPconfig server through a browser? If you put in an IP address eg 93.99.33.56, that is your public ip address ( assuming your not connecting through your lan).

If you use a domain name to connect to it like yourdomain.com:8080, try putting the domain name into this site:
    http://cqcounter.com/whois/
    It should return your public ip address.

Allowing zone transfers allows another name server to 'get' the zone records. Like a backup name server. <<--correct me if i'm wrong.

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No. You must use the public IP only in your DNS records.

These are the IPs of your secondary nameservers that are allowed to fetch the zone.

10. gabby

gabby New Member

Thanx Falko. The public ip address, is it that of my isp or the one godaddy accompanied with my domain after i registered.

This is how my setup is --->

ISPconfig 3 server IP: 192.168.254.20 connected to an ADSL router to Internet.

My registered domain name: g-techcomputersystems.com with NS11.domain control.com, NS12.domaincontrol.com with IP 68.178.232.99 under my godaddy domain manager account.
    With this information pls help me do the dns setup allover again.

11. veuster

veuster New Member

I think you should have ISPConfig installed on an online server that have a static public IP.

Looks like you installed ISPConfig in home computer connected through ADSL modem to the internet.
    Am I right? Sorry if I am mistaken. Don't know if ISPConfig can use dynamic IP.

So you must either have a VPS or Dedicated Server, not just web hosting service.

For the configuration of name server with godaddy, see this article :

http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy

Is 68.178.232.99 the ip of ns11.domaincontrol.com?
    Maybe it's godaddy DNS.

12. Toucan

Toucan Member

It will work fine on a home network as long as you have a static IP, reasonable bandwidth and a router that will do port forwarding of kind.

You have two IPs that you need to take into consideration here. Your public IP is the one that your router displays to the world on it's internet connection. Then, all your computers on your own network have their own internal IPs...192.168.what.ever. Your ISPConfig3 server will have an ip probably like 192.168.0.100... you gave it this when you set it up.

You need to set up port forwarding on your router. Different services use different port number, but most web page traffic comes in on port 80, so you should set your router to forward all traffic for port 80 to your servers internal lan IP. Therefore, all web page requests to your router, get sent on through to your server instead. It may be better for you to forward ALL ports to your server, to cover ALL services such as mail etc.

If you're struggling with the concept at the moment, it may be better for you not to host your own DNS records. Most registrars offer a DNS service with the domain name. You can simply add the required DNS records with your registrar to point to your router (the public IP) which will then in turn forward them to your server.

Think of the two IP addresses as load of flats inside a block. The front door has a number for the street, but the post man cannot see the flats numbers inside. The router sits at the front door and sends all deliveries that look like letters (port 80), to your flat. The postman doesn't need to know the flat numbers inside or who takes delivery of letter, he just needs to send all letters to the front door... your router does that last part of the delivery. Maybe my explanation sounds crazy...

13. Poliman

Poliman Member

I have some problem with dns configuration too. I set each fields and inside NS1 field I put google dns - 8.8.8.8 - after click "Create DNS-Record" I got error "NS1 contains invalid characters."

14. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

NS1 is the hostname of your DNS server and not an IP.

15. Poliman

Poliman Member

When I put local IP server address, wizard has not any problems.

16. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

NS1 is the hostname of your DNS server and not an IP.