How do I move an ISPconfig slave webserver to new hardware?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steinbruch, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Steinbruch

Steinbruch Member HowtoForge Supporter

I've spent quite some time searching and also thought about options myself but am not sure how to go about this - I have also consulted the ISPconfig manual but it still doesn't become obvious to me:

Problem:
    I have a multiserver setup with ISPconfig 3, consisting of one ISPconfig master, several email servers and several web servers
    Now I want to move all sites from one particular slave webserver to new hardware. (I will eventually have to replace three boxes)

I was thinking about setting up the new machine as a mirror of the existing one so everything would get copied automagically (well, technically since it's a one-way move, I wouldn't mind to manually rsync the websites and migrate the databases) - the question is, how do I go about removing the old machine and making the mirror the new webserver in the farm? How do I make the resellers/customers aware that their webserver has changed? (Or will it be recognized as taking the position of the decommissioned machine?)

Or am I thinking the wrong way and there is an easier approach? Basically I want to set up newserver.example.tld and make it take the position of oldserver.example.tld. I can make newserver take over the DNS name of oldserver eventually, but I cannot move the IP address (addresses are bound to physical machines in the datacenter I am using - if I turn in the old hardware I lose the associated address)

Simply adding a new webserver and moving the sites over manually would seem very complicated considering how easy everything else is with ISPconfig :)

Thanks for any help you can give,

Jerry