How do I move the main website/url of the server?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by TechGuyAlabama, Jan 12, 2015.

1. TechGuyAlabama

TechGuyAlabama New Member

My main url of my server and of ISPConfig is experiencedhosting.com. I'd like to make changes to the domain within ISPConfig but I do not see it within the interface. The site is propagating out to the server and hitting the Apache's default website and not ISPConfig's default site.
    Can this be changed? Can I change it to have ISPConfig host the domain so that I can create email accounts and such?
    I am using Ubuntu 14.04.
    Thank you!
    TG

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you made an error during server installation, the server hsotname may not be a domain that you want to use for email or websites, therefor the server hostname has to be a subdomain as described in the tutorials. so the server hostname has to be e.g. server1.experiencedhosting.com, it may not be experiencedhosting.com.

To fix your setup, seek for experiencedhosting.com in the file /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname, /etc/mailname and /etc/postfix/main.cf and replace them all with a subdomain like server1.experiencedhosting.com. Then restart the server. Then login to ispconfig and create a website for experiencedhosting.com.

malvin and TechGuyAlabama like this.
  3. TechGuyAlabama

TechGuyAlabama New Member

That was an excellent answer and solved my problem.
    Tyvm :)