How do I send E-Mail from a webclient through ISPconfig?

Discussion in 'General' started by cassola-enterprises, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Hi,
    I would like to know how to set up my online client to send email with ispconfig as the smtp.
    What are the:
    - server
    - port
    - requires secure connection?
    - username
    - password

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your mail server name.
    Probably 587. If that doesn't work, edit /etc/postfix/master.cf and enable the submission service (refer to a Perfect Server guide).
    Yes.
    The email address you create for this account.
    The password you set for this account.

cassola-enterprises likes this.
  3. Thank you a lot.

I experienced that gmail works like a charm with secured transfer.
    outlook.com is a pain and works best if you leave the TLS/SSL box unchecked.

4. Jesse Norell

Sending your mail usernames/passwords over the network in plain text is a common way to have your email accounts abused, you'd be much better off getting SSL/TLS working. I'm not familiar with the specific issues outlook has, but in general make sure your certificate / certificate chain is good, and in your mail client, try using the servername that matches the CN (common name) found in the certificate.

5. I have no idea how to find out or change what I used in the certificate in question.
    Isn't that a self-signed certificate?

Please elaborate more on the certificate chain and how to make it work.

6. moses muyanja

moses muyanja New Member

hello i need your help ......am so new in linux and stuff and need to learn the funny bit is i just got a job and everything is linux i have seen ubuntu,suse,redhat and dubian servers in the server room my qn is wher do i start
    however my job is a network administrator and my first challenge is
    i have a deepofix mail server which does not connect to internet i dont want to connect it to internet but wanted to create a server which will recieve mail from internet and forward them to the deepix and also send out but internet on the network is through a cproxy server need your help thanks

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  7. Jesse Norell

Yes, you probably have a self-signed certificate, which is what the ispconfig installer creates. See https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/letsencrypt-on-mail-server.73695/ for how to use a letsencrypt certificate (the instructions there should actually work for ispconfig 3.0.5 as well, as they only cover setting up the certificate for postfix/dovecot - you can not use letsencrypt for client websites in 3.0.5).

cassola-enterprises likes this.
  8. Jesse Norell

As that is quite unrelated to the topic in this thread or even the ISPConfig 3 Forum, you might post your question(s) under the general Linux Forum.