How do you set up shared hosting?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by PorkFat, Dec 29, 2005.

1. PorkFat

PorkFat New Member

I've had a site running on port 8086 with port forwarding on my linksys router because my ISP blocks port 80 incoming to it's customers.

Well, I set up ISPConfig to operate on port 80 internal, but when I log onto port 80 on my server's 192.168.xxx.xxx IP address, I get this:

Code:
    Shared IP

This IP address is shared. For access to the web site which you look for, enter its address instead of its IP.

For questions or problems please contact the server administrator.

If I log into port 8086, I get my original site just fine. How do I get port 80 to display my /var/www/web5/web/index.html ? How do I make that shared IP message go away?

Thank you so very much for your help!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You have to use the FQDN you assigned to web5 in order to see the correct page. For example, if www.example.com is the FQDN of web5, then you have to use www.example.com in the browser's address bar.

3. PorkFat

PorkFat New Member

But this is an internal network for testing. Will I have to run the DNS service and have my PCs use it in order to connect to it?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to test the hosts in your internal network, you can setup the domain record in your hosts file instead of using an DNS server.

Please see also this post:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528