How to allow .htaccess file

Discussion in 'General' started by Skprorok, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

I have tested this exact .htaccess file on another server without any modifications and I don't recieve any error...

When i copy content of .htaccess file to Apache directives it still doesn't works.

2. rlischer

rlischer Member

I am having the same problem. I used a working .htaccess file from a working site and I am trying to duplicate the site on my new server. If I delete it I can see the site, but then I guess mod_rewrite stops working in that folder.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you dont use the eaxct same application then you dont have the same eror! Without writing exact error descriptions, nobody is able to help you.

If something dont work in a website, look into the error log of the website.

4. rlischer

rlischer Member

I know I don't have the same app, but .php is not working correctly for me.

my error with .htaccess:
    Code:
    [Thu Aug 06 15:50:21 2009] [alert] [client 66.42.xxx.xxx] /var/www/clients/client4/web6/web/calls/.htaccess: Options not allowed here
    without the .htaccess
    Code:
    [Thu Aug 06 16:04:48 2009] [error] [client 66.42.xxx.xxx] File does not exist: /var/www/clients/client4/web6/web/calls/admin-add-user, referer: http://www.mysite.net/calls/admin.php

5. till

Ok, then move the "Options ...." lines from the .htaccess file to the apache directives field of the website. And plese dont post to other threads, make your own thraed for your own problem.

6. rlischer

rlischer Member

I don't know what "apache directives" are. I just wanted to subscribe to this thread to see if he ever found a solution. I do have another thread and you were helping over there. Thanks

7. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

I tried to copy content of .htaccess file to Apache directives, but it still doesn't working. And i dont have any errors in error.log.

8. dxr

dxr New Member

ISPConfig has disabled .htaccess per default. You need add this directive to httpd.conf:

Code:
    <Directory />
           AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

And all your .htaccess will star work. BUT Till said me:

http://us2.php.net/configuration.changes
    http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ini.list.php

Php disable some directives for only setup in php.ini, i think allow .htaccess is not a security reason, ISPConfig has other security problems more importants.

For example 'Magento' need change some php directives in .htaccess, but its disabled, i think is very hard for the user change .htaccess from the control panel every time he need change it, or install new CMS, etc...

9. till

With "Allow override all" you can change also the interpreter for any file ending e.g. .php files, so you can esily come around any restrictions on the system. Enebling the overriding for everything is not recommended on systms that run websites for customers.

10. dxr

dxr New Member

Show me examples, please.

Imagine my server with 50 websites and htaccess with "Allowoverride All"

How to can hack other websites from localhost or to do unstable the server.

11. till

I have sent you an email.

12. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

So is there any solution to allow .htaccess?

13. dxr

dxr New Member

We are discussing by email. We will post the possible solution or conclusion.

14. till

Edit the file:

/usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/vhost.conf.master

and change the lines:

AllowOverride Indexes AuthConfig Limit FileInfo

to

AllowOverride All

Then every new or updated website will allow overriding. Please be aware that this might allow customers to enable e.g. php if it is not enabled for a website.

15. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

I can't find line: AllowOverride Indexes AuthConfig Limit FileInfo in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/vhost.conf.master . I can only find AllowOverride Indexes AuthConfig Limit
    Thanks. And how I can update site?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  16. till

Edit a setting in the site and click on save.

17. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

Yes. It's going

Thanks

18. dxr

dxr New Member

Till,

Better solution is create a option for enable or disable AllowOveride all from ispconfig, and add this config in every vhost confiuguration.

The customers wont can enable php if they have disabled htaccess permision for this domain.

What do you think?

19. till

20. dxr

dxr New Member

Perfect ;D