How to auto reboot the server?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by thavaht, Dec 24, 2007.

1. thavaht

thavaht New Member

Hi all!
    How can I configure my Debian etch server on a Dell PowerEdge SC420 computer to automatically reboot after a power failure in case the UPS do not last long?
    Thanks in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't think a reboot will help you if the UPS goes down. If there's no power, the system can't reboot.

3. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Maybe it is an option to enable the "Wake on LAN" option of your Network card within the BIOS of the server.
    If power is available again, the server will boot if there is network activity.

4. volksman

volksman New Member

There is an option in the BIOS under power management that will restore system state after a power failure (IE if the machine state is on before the failure then it will be on after, likewise if it is off before it is off after).

However in production this does not always work. Not really sure why but I have seen it fail a few times. Could be faulty power supplies in the machines though as they always seem to be older machines (older being a relative term here) that fail to wake after a power outage.

5. thavaht

thavaht New Member

Sorry for not have been clear enough. I’ve experienced situations where AC power failure lasted longer than UPS charge and when AC power came back the PC didn’t restart.
    Now I’m aware that’s a mater of BIOS configuration.

I found in the BIOS under power management, the AC Recovery menu with the following options:

Off = System stays off after AC power is restored
    On = System powers on after AC power is restored
    Last = System returns to the previous state after AC power recovery

I’ve tested the options and they work perfectly.

I also found a “Remote Wake UP” menu which is NIC based. I haven’t tested it yet.
    Thank you all and Happy New Year!