How to change web user

Discussion in 'General' started by Antonio Sanguigni, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Antonio Sanguigni

Antonio Sanguigni New Member

Hello, I had a virus infiltration into my wordpress website. There was a cronjob too for user web27. I would like to change the password for this user or, better, delete it and create a new one to assign the website. But this is managed by IspConfig, how can I accomplish this, please ?
    Thank you
    Antonio

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What you plan to do makes no sense as a solution for your issue. The web27 has no password and nobody can log in with that user, so you problem is not related to that, also the username does not matter to your problem in any way.

Back to your original problem, to fix this and to prevent this from happening again, you must secure your website.

1) Ensure that nor more corn jobs are running under this user, you can do that with the command:

crontab -l -u web27

2) If you have an FTP or shell user assigned to that site in ISPConfig, you might want to change their passwords using ISPConfig. Even if they are very likely not related to the issue.
    3) The important task to get this fixed is to clean your website and remove any files hackers might have uploaded to it using a bug in a WordPress Theme or Plugin. There are tools to help you with that like ISPProtect (first scan is free) or WordFence. You must also take care to install all available updates for WordPress, WordPress Plugins and Themes you use.
    4) Then check the plugins and themes you use, are they still maintained by their authors? If not, replace them with plugins and themes that still get security updates.

Antonio Sanguigni and pyte like this.
  3. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

ISPProtect sounds interesting. Do you know if the sell unlimited scan licences?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are two types of licenses. You can either get a yearly license that has unlimited scans but is limited to running on one server, or you can get licenses that are not limited to any specific server but has a limit on how many scans you can do. And if you have a larger number of servers that you need licenses for, write us an email and we give you a quote.

5. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you for elaborating. I'll check when everything is running on the new servers, and evaluate if we want to use it for our customers.

6. Antonio Sanguigni

Antonio Sanguigni New Member