How to configure subdomains for alias domain (+LE certs)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by andyschmid, Mar 14, 2022.

1. andyschmid

andyschmid New Member

I have ISPConfig running on a Ubuntu 20.04 server and trying to figure out what is the correct way to configure a subdomain for an alias domain.

Scenario: I have two domains, let's say example.com and example.net. The main domain is example.com. I setup example.net as an alias domain for example.com. Now I setup a subdomain mail.example.com. Two reasons: 1) I want mail.example.com to forward to "https"://example.com/webmail and 2) I want a LE cert generated for mail.example.com.

This works and will create LE certs for example.com, mail.example.com and example.net but not for mail.example.net. I can't setup a subdomain for example.net because the GUI only allows subdomains for hosted domains and not for alias domains.

Current fix: I define a new alias domain for mail.example.net and redirect it to "https"://example.com/webmail. This also then generates a LE cert for mail.example.net.

This seems to work but it's not straight forward and I am just wondering if there is a better/cleaner way to do this?

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Alias domain or sub domain with vhost should allow you to have more options but you have to enable that first (ISPConfig GUI System > Main Config), remove the current alias domain and recreate them with vhost option. I am however not sure whether this is useful to your case but I do think this way may be cleaner.

andyschmid likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can add subdomains for example.net like this: click on new alias domain and enter 'something.example.net' in the domain field and press save. technically, a subdomain and alias domain is exactly the same functionality, it just differs in the way the domain name is entered in the web form.

andyschmid likes this.
  4. andyschmid

andyschmid New Member

Yep! That's is exactly what I did. I was just wondering if I am breaking something doing it this way but if you say it's alright then I am fine with this solution. Thank you!

5. andyschmid

andyschmid New Member

Thanks for the tip. I have to check inot this some time ....